IGNORED

My leak-proof oil filler cap is Leaking

SAMSAR

The stock oil filler cap on my 02 RT has been leaking since last year. So, this spring I bought new BMW O-rings for both cap and inset plastic pieces and still had the same problem. Because I'm still burning/losing oil at 30k, I wanted to get this problem resolved

So, I bought the leak-proof setup from Moto-Techniques, took the valve cover off, and installed it per the directions. Went for a ride and came back with the valve cover drenched in oil. eek.gif Took the tupperware off again (I'll never learn to test things before putting everything back together dopeslap.gif) and removed the valve cover. Everything seemed to be OK but I started over again anyway.

This time, I tightened down on the inset screws as hard as I could and reconfirmed that the device was flush to the inside of the valve cover (pressed in far enough?). The cap itself was locked in as tight as I could get it too. Checked that the oil is slightly below centerline. I went for another quick ride around the block and no oil. I went for a long ride yesterday and this is what I found when I got home.

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

Any thoughts on what to try next???

Get a new head?

(Think I'm glad I didn't go buy one of those tricky caps after seeing it on your bike.)

Jim

Had the same problem, and I replaced the O-ring on valve cover and it still leaked. I talked to a BMW service tech and he told me that to make sure that the area in the valve cover is completely dry as well as the O-ring. Second time I popped it out and dried everything and put it back together, no leaks since then.

Alan

SAAB93driver

I've had these on all my oilheads. It looks to me like you do not have the steel seat pressed in all the way. The flange on the outside should be down as far as it can go and you photos show a gap.

It is difficult to press in all the way. It can be done by hand using both thumbs but the second time I used a C-clamp and a suitable socket to push it in.

I've never had one leak. I have had the seat turn in the cover when a BMW tech torqued the cap into place instead of just snugging it which required removing of the valve cover and then repositiong and tighten the grub screws.

It sometimes happen. Well, first of all get a new set of "O" rings. Dry the cap and recess on the rocker cover well with kitchen towels. Replace the "O" rings and squirt a little silicone sealant before replacing the filler cap back on. The silicone sealant should form a light seal between the gaps in the "O" rings although it should not be any.

I always make it a point to tour with a spare set of "O" rings. They are cheap to replace, but a pain to find when you are out in the middle of nowhere and the filler cap spouting oil.........not nice at all..

Your closeup photo pretty clearly shows that the insert is not fully seated in the value cover. Re-install the insert so that it is completely flush with the valve cover and it should not leak.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had these on all my oilheads. It looks to me like you do not have the steel seat pressed in all the way. The flange on the outside should be down as far as it can go and you photos show a gap.

It is difficult to press in all the way. It can be done by hand using both thumbs but the second time I used a C-clamp and a suitable socket to push it in.

I've never had one leak. I have had the seat turn in the cover when a BMW tech torqued the cap into place instead of just snugging it which required removing of the valve cover and then repositiong and tighten the grub screws.

SUCCESS!!! clap.gif

Thanks everyone for the help and assistance. The C-clamp idea really made the difference for me. It's obvious how it's supposed to go once it "snaps" into place. Dry as a bone now.

thumbsup.gif

Glad you got this fixed.....for a while I thought you would have to be called "Dirty Wheels and Oily Head"

All right...All right... now you've gone too far. grin.gif

Archived