IGNORED

Difference between '06 and '04 GT's ....worth the price

bigwilliejoe

bigwilliejoe

Hello gents,

On my way to purchase my first BMW GT and of course went to the dealership to look. I was discussing the new ('06)versus the old ('04) and was informed that the old was nothing like the new. Did my due diligence and found the changes.

2004 vs. 2006

Engine: 14 cc's and 1.5:1 comp

Suspension: Telelever vs. duolever and evo paralever

Length: couple of inches

Height: inch taller

Fuel: .9 gal

Price: $8000 more

Worth it?

Thanks for the inputs.

B.J.

P.s. What happened to the 2005 GT production?

Off the top of my head the big difference is the '07's improved power/ weight ratio. Also ESA available, although some may question whether it's an improvement. I think the luggage holds more as well. Bigger fuel tank.

You are the only one that can say whether the new model is worth the extra $$. The older model is sure enough a really nice bike. If in the market, and didn't want to spend the extra cash, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a clean, low mileage '04. I think the blue ones are awefully pretty.

Good luck on your choice.

Difference between '06 and '04 GT's

Whats the difference between the Sun & the Moon?

Are they not both heavenly bodies?

The same is true for these two bikes but like the Sun vs Moon, one is thousands of degrees HOTER grin.gif

Hello gents,

On my way to purchase my first BMW GT and of course went to the dealership to look. I was discussing the new ('06)versus the old ('04) and was informed that the old was nothing like the new. Did my due diligence and found the changes.

2004 vs. 2006

Engine: 14 cc's and 1.5:1 comp

power, torque and smoothness all vastly improved.

Old GT 20year old design, New GT 1 year old design - no comparison here.

Suspension: Telelever vs. duolever and evo paralever

lower unsprung weight, total seperation of steering and suspension loads vs partial seperation.

Length: couple of inches

Height: inch taller

Fuel: .9 gal

Price: $8000 more

Worth it?

Thanks for the inputs.

B.J.

P.s. What happened to the 2005 GT production?

All the old and new GT share is a the name and the number of cylinders. They are as similar as a 1963 triumph Bonneville is to a 2006 bonnie.

Andy

chrisolson

All the old and new GT share is a the name and the number of cylinders. They are as similar as a 1963 triumph Bonneville is to a 2006 bonnie.
Maybe not that bad, but close grin.gif

Price: $8000 more Worth it?
BJ, obviously part of the $$ difference is used vs. new. For me, the new GT is all about the motor, bigger/better luggage and ESA - don't know what that's worth to you, but it sure gets my blood moving every time I ride it !!
bigwilliejoe

Well I guess I should have qualified that as...

Is it worth it for me as an un-initiated BMW 'GT' owner?

I'm trying to justify not spending the $21,000. The depreciation bug has already visited my home with the purchase of a yuppie mobile my wife wanted. Yikes!

Thanks you guys for the responses.

B.J.

JMO, but even tho I think the new GT does have a bit of visual appeal, I still like the old style - more rounder in a lot of places, but not too round. The newer bike seems to have a lot of sharper points, kind of like the F-117.

chrisolson

I'm trying to justify not spending the $21,000.
Ha, understand that ...!! I would not be surprised to find that late this year there will be some on the used market. I believe that there will be a few owners coming from the RT or LT world who will try it but not like it long term and will want out.

If I were a patient person... but no, I'm not...

B.J

I have ridden an 04Gt and purchased an 06'in May. THe difference in the two models is night & day , which have been explained in other posts. This being your 1st BMW I would probably do the prev model and save many$$$$$. If you

make the right deal after a year or so you wont take a big hit on the value. BTW alll the 05's made in silver were

for the Canadian market.

Phil

bigwilliejoe

Thanks PFP,

Are the '05 the same as the '06 or still the prev version. And yes that might be the course to take as I grow into BMW.

Thanks guys and girls,

B.J.

Hello Guys

I am new to the forum, I am from South Africa, i own a 2004 K1200GT previous model. The main problem in SA is the price of motocycle here. The new GT is not launched here yet but i have seen one on display at one of our bike shows. I dont want to expand much but our curency is the rand. So for us to buy a new K1200GT will be very expensive. My current GT is worth about R80 000.00 and the expected price of the new GT will be +- R150 000.00 bare in mind today R$ exchance rate is round about $1-R7.30 so multiply what you guys are paying for your bikes by 7.30 and import taxes and all and you will see we get ripped of. Think i will ride my GT wich has just done 22000KMS +- 13000miles for quite some time still.

I own 3 bikes and the GT is my favourate long distance touring/ track riding non competative trackdays.

I have done a Bun Burner 1500miler on my GT and thats why i love it so much can ride the whole day without getting tired.

Regards

TCS

tom collins

very good to have you on the board TCS. i don't know if we have any of your countrymen yet or if you are the first. many here would probably enjoy seeing pictures of some of the places you get too if it is not too inconvenient.

welcome aboard.

tom collins

04 r1150rt

06 HD wide glide

01 Kawi 500 ninja (son's toy)

• 4 weeks later...

BJ, just ride both buddy. I bet the majority of people buying new GTs didn't 'outperform' the old one (dragging pegs and banging the rev limiter left and right). I've been hit by depreciation waaaay too many times, and am finally mature enough (after 44 years < he he>) not to impulse-buy anymore.

If you don't think your social status would be diminished by not having the latest and greatest, and you find the 'old' GT enough, why not save 8 grand? Only you can make that decision. Good luck.

Calvin  (no socks)

I haven't ridden the new GT, but I have a Old GT 03' and a 05' Ks....difference of a rocket and a locomotive. I'll warrant that the new K motor is solid and dependable... so far with 11,000 miles on it... not one complaint..

I believe that the 05' GT was eliminated due to late release of the Ks...no time to re-tool...

Archived