IGNORED

Lightning

BCRider

As I'm riding home from work tonight in the lightning and the rain I was wondering if anybody has ever been hit or know of someone who has been hit by lightning while riding their bike?

Pilgrim, board member, hit, lived, can't kill him it seems. smirk.gif

I read about riders getting taken out from a bolt outta the blue all the time. With the frightening number of electical storms I face in the summer here in So Fla, I've decided it's not nice to fool with Mother Nature. Park it. Here's a story of a Colorado rider from a couple of weeks ago who's looking down on us wishing he did.

One BMW rider I know, Don, was involved in a lightning strike while riding in the western US. He was on a K75RT with his girlfriend, who is also a rider. It's late evening just after sunset and a storm is moving in. As they passed under an iron railroad trestle, lightning struck the trestle. Don said the lightning bolt lit up everything overhead, all over the iron beams then struck the bike from left to right across his arms and chest. He was unable to move for a few moments. He was aware of everything going on but couldn't lift his arms. His girlfriend realized he was in trouble, reached around him and controlled the bike until he regained use of his arms a few moments later.

A car that was behind them while all this happened, passed them slowly. Don describes the faces in the car window looking at them as if they expected to see ghosts. They mouth the words "Are you OK?" as they pass. Just ahead is a service station. The car pulls in and Don pulls in just behind them. The people in the car can't believe Don and his girlfriend arent injured and describe what they saw from behind. Other than being stunned for a few moments Don was ok. He still has the K75RT and it has a personalized plate which reads "SPRKY"

He still has the K75RT and it has a personalized plate which reads "SPRKY"

grin.gif

From what I've been able to gather, motorcyclists are occasionally killed by lightning, though it's not a common occurrence. I know all about lightning safety, but I've still continued to ride on occasion. dopeslap.gif

The rule of thumb I've always heard is that, if you can see lightning or hear thunder, you're at risk. Obviously, there are some limits to this rule--as when you're watching a distant storm across the plains or in another mountain range--but it's probably best to seek shelter in those circumstances. And, I don't mean beneath a tall tree. eek.gif

MrHondamatic

I got shocked on my old K75 (maybe they are part lightning rod?) one day on my way to work. I heard one large boom and felt the shock through my very wet and gloved left index finger that was in contact with the clutch lever. My finger was numb for about an hour. I had just witnessed a road sign taking a hit only a minute or two before I was shocked.

Pilgrim, board member, hit, lived, can't kill him it seems. smirk.gif

OHHH, well... that explains a lot about Pilgrim... wink.gifgrin.gif

Archived