IGNORED

Burbling on Decceleration

pbbeck

I have done a search , and I know the issue of burbling/popping on deccel on the R1200RT has been discussed, but I wanted to bring it up because...

My '06 GS burbled on decel since day one. I'm not complaining. It's actually kind of a cool sound. My '05 12RT never did for the first 9000 miles, that is until it's firmware was flashed by the dealer a few weeks ago, presumably updating it to an equivalent version as the newer GS.

Is it reasonable to associate this change with the firmware update? Is this behavior just a characteristic of the latest ECU firmware. Has anyone else noticed the late-onset of burbling on their RTs? Should I mention it at the 12K service?

I have done a search , and I know the issue of burbling/popping on deccel on the R1200RT has been discussed, but I wanted to bring it up because...

My '06 GS burbled on decel since day one. I'm not complaining. It's actually kind of a cool sound. My '05 12RT never did for the first 9000 miles, that is until it's firmware was flashed by the dealer a few weeks ago, presumably updating it to an equivalent version as the newer GS.

Is it reasonable to associate this change with the firmware update? Is this behavior just a characteristic of the latest ECU firmware. Has anyone else noticed the late-onset of burbling on their RTs? Should I mention it at the 12K service?

My experience echos yours.

My RT (build date of 9/05) never burbled (Its firmware was never flashed prior to my selling it). My GS (build date of 3/06) burbles consistently and has since the day I took delivery. Unfortunately, BMW doesn't provide a way for mere mortals to check the firmwware version so there's no way we're going to be able to 100% tie this phenomenon back to a flash update.

My early build (February) R1200RT has burbled since new.

It has only been to the dealer once for its 600 mile checkup.

As far as I know, has not been firmware upgraded.

If it was done at the checkup, I might not have been told.

Either way, I didnt notice any difference after.

Rich

I've had just the opposite experience. My '05 RT "burbled" until the 12,000 mile service approx. one month ago. It hasn't done so since.

I associated the burbling with the new boxer being highly tuned, since all the really tweaked hot rod engines do the same thing. I'm concerned that BMW has slightly detuned this engine with the last firmware update because so many people complained about the burbling. I hope it isn't true, but something seems to have cost RT's four or five horsepower and a couple of ft-lbs in recent dyno tests compared to early '05. frown.gif

I got rid of almost all my burbling by resetting the "zero" reading for the Throttle Positioning Sensors.

Try it.

Turn on the key, engine in RUN, but don't start. Wait for all diagnostics to complete. Twist the throttle smoothly to full throttle (should take a three count) and then back to idle three times.

I then shut off the bike, turned it back on again and did the same thing, then rode off. I don't get the bup-bupbup-BUP-bup-bup-bupbup-bup on decel anymore.

I'm going to adjust the valves in a couple hundred, then resync the throttle bodies, but that'll be to get rid of the just-off-idle lack of smoothness whilst riding in construction areas at the bottom limit of first gear.

Good luck!

J

KC4FOX

Archived