IGNORED

Restore your System Case finish!

Jim Miller

Jim Miller

About 6 weeks ago, I suffered the misfortune of a tipover on a concrete driveway while preparing to wash my '02 RT. The right side mirror housing was scratched along with my case guard, and there were some deep scratches on the leading edge of the saddlebag that touched down. I replaced the mirror (thanks, Len) and bought a new right side guard, but had no immediate solution for the scratched lid.

After sanding the scratches out smooth, there was no remaining evidence of the mishap, save for the smooth, glossy finish on that part of the bag lid - I'd sanded the original "pebble grain" finish of the bag lid out with the scratches. No big deal really...it wasn't noticeable to anyone unless I pointed it out, but it ate away at me like a slow acid. "What the hey," I thought. "My car is nearly a POS - so my bike WILL be perfect!" I figured the options included a new right side lid; a bag bumper set from BMW which would cover the afflicted area just right; or even an upgrade to new, oversized System Case "touring" lids.

This weekend, I spent some time working on a project bike restoration - a vintage Suzuki T500 Titan - my first street bike. I bored the cylinders and bead blasted the aluminum heads and jugs. My mechanic friend at the dealership then made a simple suggestion. Little did I know it would have life changing consequences.

He said, "If you sand the edges (of the aluminum cooling fins) smooth, it will look a lot better. But if you sand the aluminum too much, just take a new, coarse Scotch Brite pad and tap it over the spot you want pebble-grained again with a decent sized rubber mallet. The coarse pad will restore the pebble grain finish," he said. Hmmm...

I drove straight home with those heads and jugs on the back seat of my near-POS and broke out a new Scotch Brite pad - the coarse, dark red colored one. Then I took my rubber mallet, placed it over the smooth, glossy spot on my right side System Case and gave it a little tap. After experimenting with "strike pressure," I finally built up enough confidence to give it a pretty good rap. Several pops later, the OE "pebble-grain" finish of my BMW System Case magically returned. If the Scotch Brite pad will "dimple" raw aluminum, it will certainly brand that black plastic bag lid. When I got it looking just right, I followed it up with a generous application of Turtle Wax Black Chrome, and my (previously damaged) bag lid now looks like new again.

Maybe I got lucky, or maybe this tip will have merit for the countless throngs who've suffered a similar fate. Scotch Brite pads are available on just about any street corner for about $3.00. Give it a try. You can always sand it smooth again, or just go ahead and replace the bag anyway. At least now we have a choice. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the great tip Jim! I had one of my cases leave the bike at 130 kph a few weeks ago (my carelessness not BMW's fault blush.gif) The case actually stood up surprisingly well for crossing three lanes of asphalt.

I managed to sand off all the scratches on the lid but as you said, the finish is definitely different and noticable to me.

I will be trying the Scotch Brite trick real soon.

Stephen_Chase

I had a Cadillac drive on top of one of my bags (my fault for sitting it in the way dopeslap.gif) & it got scratched in the process. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, the quid pro quo was the Caddy fender buckled a bit but it was an easy fix too,

Stephen

Thanks Jim. I have a streak from someones bumper when I got too close to their car in the parking lot. I've been trying to figure out how I would get it to look right after I sanded it out. This is a great tip!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

BucksTherapy

I pulled a stuoid and had a tip over in my garage from 4 feet up on a motorcycle table. Marked the bag and the Givi trunk.

I will be trying this when I get home.

Huh?

Scratches on the side cases are signs of agressive lane splitting in CA (we will not be stopped), best to be left..

Good tips, thanks...

Huh?

Scratches on the side cases are signs of agressive lane splitting in CA (we will not be stopped), best to be left..

Good tips, thanks...

Scratches on the side cases are a sign of poor bike control tongue.gif

Great idea!!

I am interested in the Titan restoration. I had an early 70s model in high school. any pictures to share??

• 2 years later...
mikeR1100R

Tried your suggestion using the Scotch-brite pads and a plastic hammer. My bike had tipped over when the sidestand sank into some soft asphalt. I sanded the scraped area., smacked a Scotch-brite pad with the hammer onto the affected area, cleaned it with mineral spirits and sprayed it judiciously with Krylon satin finish black. It ain't perfect, but it looks WAY better than it used to. I don't think I could have sanded out the deep gouges. I am happy with it; it cost less than $10, and I can repeat if necessary.

Archived