IGNORED

Wind Whistle

Vrex

I bought a 2002 R1150RT three months ago, and have experienced one nagging annoyance with it. This is a wind whistle that the bike generates, starting rather suddenly at about 45 mph. It's a distinct, high-pitched whistle above the general rush of wind. Though it sounds like it's coming from a specific location, I've tried to locate its source without success. Is this noise typical of these bikes, or specific to mine? I'd be interested to know if any other 1150RT riders know what I'm talking about, and if there's any way to silence it. Worst case, I'll accept it as just another BMW "quirk" and learn to live with it . . . crazy.gif

Does it change as you adjust the windshield?

Do you have an installed radio and a radio antenna? Antennas can whistle.

Removing the antenna has no effect. I've got a Cee Bailey windshield on it now, but that change had no effect, nor does moving the shield through its range of adjustment.

COuld it be your helmet? My Schuberth concept whistles if the visor is closed but not sealed. It only does this behind the RTs screen and not on my little Guzzi Imola

Andy

Okay, you-all have your fun. But I think what I'm hearing is that no one else has noticed it, which implies that it's something about my particular bike. Which means that I should be able to find it.

Archived