IGNORED

Speedometer error % on 06 RT?

Zenhog

Anyone have information for the speedometer error % on the 06 RT? I don't have a GPS to verify mph. Thanks

Bob near Albuquerque

duckbubbles

HI, Bob-

I believe that speedometer errors are pretty common of something like 8%. Maybe 5 mph at highway speeds. I think this is true of all makes, like it's government mandated or something. Except for my Duck 900- that one was 12% fast until I changed the speedo drive and now it's only about 4% and I can live with that.

If you look at road tests, you may find that Harley has the most accurate speedo's. There must be some error in converting from Kph to Mph.

This is one of my pet peeves that I've had for many years!!!

Frank

NakedRider

I've had numerous BMWs over the years and many of them were up to 10% off from a GPS.

BMW has done something MAJOR to fix that with their newest bikes. I owned and tested an R1200GS, an R1200ST, and a K1200R with my GPS. All of them were within 1 to 2 MPH from the GPS at freeway speeds - 60 to 80. I find that remarkable. I haven't tested my R1200S yet but if it's also accurate I'll be very pleased since it's indicating higher corner speeds than I've recorded in the past.

I would think that since the GS and ST are spot on your RT should be the same. I've seen several posts on many sites that would indicate this as well.

In sort - I wouldn't run it fast thinking it's optimistic. You'll get a ticket!

My 05 RT is pretty accurate when compared to the GPS. It is not dead on but it is only off by a small margin. It is much more accurate than any other bike I have had recently.

My old 12GS showed +1 mph and my current 12RT shows +2 throughout the range against the GPS.

The GPS is just about smack on compared with a calibrated speedo, so BM speedos are very good compared with most.

The worst and most optimistic speedos I've seen are Honda CBR1100 Blackbirds.

Jim VonBaden
My RT is within 1-2 MPH into the triple digits.

My GF's 05 ST and my 05 GS are both within 2 mph at 100+ mph!

Jim cool.gif

Here's a good way to check your speedo dif. smile.gif

At highway speed, set the cruise.

Cycle through the BC to display AVG Speed.

Hold BC until it 'resets'.

Compare BC to speedo.

I have found that my BC is very close (+- 1 mph)

to my Garmin GPS. thumbsup.gif

lawnchairboy

my 06 RT is 2 mph slower than my GPS, that error increases slightly as you increase.

The other day my 05RT was 45mph faster than my GPS... there again I had left the GPS sitting on the kitchen table :-)

Seriously though, don't forget that GPS doesnt take into account rising and falling of ground, only accounts for speed across surface so will not be totally accurate or comparable to true bike speed. Must say my speedo and GPS readings are closer than any bike I've had before.

Seriously though, don't forget that GPS doesnt take into account rising and falling of ground, only accounts for speed across surface so will not be totally accurate or comparable to true bike speed. Must say my speedo and GPS readings are closer than any bike I've had before.
I'm sure glad for this thread. I've assumed my speedo was wildly optimistic so always rode at indicated speeds much faster than I "thought" I was actually going. Apparently this isn't the case. Will now trust my speedo and hopefully avoid the MAN.

Lat Monday I verified the speedo error on my 06RT vs GPS on friend's ST1300. At an indicated 100 km/h (62 MPH) my speedo

read 101 km/h. That's pretty acurate. The ST1300 speedo is about 6% optimistic.

By the way, coming from a ST1300 myself I found the engine a little difficult to live with initially. Now that it's broken in (and got used to it) it is some sweet ride.

What great handling and brakes also !

Seriously though, don't forget that GPS doesnt take into account rising and falling of ground, only accounts for speed across surface so will not be totally accurate or comparable to true bike speed.

In practice, rising or falling ground makes little difference. The gradient would have to be about 1:5 for a 2% error. Even 1:3 is only just over a 5% error.

Here's a good way to check your speedo dif. smile.gif

At highway speed, set the cruise.

Cycle through the BC to display AVG Speed.

Hold BC until it 'resets'.

Compare BC to speedo.

I have found that my BC is very close (+- 1 mph)

to my Garmin GPS. thumbsup.gif

How do you know which one is right? Maybe they both are wrong. I think the GPS standard is a better way to go. On my '05 RT the GPS indicates about 2mph less than the speedometer.

Jay

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I checked a Garmin Quest against a calibrated speedo and allowing for a bit of lag now and then, it was accurate throughout.

Well, considering that I'm observing three indicators (speedo, BC, and GPS) and the GPS & BC are pretty much identical,

I guess I'd have to go with the majority and assume that the GPS/BC combo are closer to correct than the speedo.

chazholiday

Why are the speedometer and BC readings different in the first place? Are they not driven from the same source? My speedo is 5 mph fast at an indicated 80 (BC says 75)

I thought I was pretty clever to set the cruise and then reset the avg speed on the BC, until I read this thread...Thanks for chipping away at my sense of self worth. frown.gif

Just went out and checked the speedo error on my 06 R12RT.

It was reading 1 mph high up until 70 mph at which time it stabilzed at 2 mph high up through 110 mph at which time my exit was coming up so needed to get back to looking at the road for a bit.

Ran this exercise in both directions, just to double check.

AD

Archived