IGNORED

After-market plugs for '99 1100 RT?

nmbeemer

Any suggestions? What's the application difference between single spark plug vs a dual spark? What about gapping?

I run Bosch (Plantium +4) 4417's in my 98 RT. I've been using them for years with no problems. Some people run Bosch 4418's but general consensus on this board several years ago was that the 4417's run a bit cooler. They are available at any auto parts store and are pre-gapped. There is another non-oem plug others have used with good results but can't remember the brand, someone else will hopefully post so you have several options. Good riding!

Any suggestions? What's the application difference between single spark plug vs a dual spark? What about gapping?

Near Clovis? : ))

Bosch FR7DCX gapped .8mm

Mick

Tucson

Andy -- thanks for the exhaustive list. It's seems like people use both the Bosch 4417 and 4418 on their 1100RTs. What's the performance difference bewtween these two plugs??

You should maybe look at Denso Iridium plugs. I use them in my 2002 R1150RT and have been really pleased with the performance. Your 1100RT would use the same plug that I use, heat range IK22, Gap .032 They are a bit spendy at $11.00 per each, but I think you would be extremely satisfied with Denso plugs.<<<<Softtail>>>>> clap.gifgrin.gif

I've used the 4418 and the 4417. I switched based on discussions on this board that the 4418's burn hotter. I did not notice any performance difference between the two. When I first switched to the 4418 over the stock Bosch plug I felt like the engine ran a bit smoother. Surging was never a problem on my bike.

I had surging on my R1100R. The Autolites help reduce surge. Performance equal to or better than the Bosch. IMHO John S Boise

• 1 month later...

I would go with Iridium or 3923 if you want cheap.

I had Bosch platinums 4s in my car and R1100 (4418), and both vehicles had a single plug fail within 1 year.

They are crap for me and I won't ever use them again.

Just a biased opinion but compared to iridium they are obsolete.

Archived