IGNORED

How common is it to drop out of gear?

stubble!

First time for me, popped out of gear in sixth, cruising easy on a slight incline at about 4000 rpm. Had picked up speed and upshifted from fifth about 30 seconds earlier. The shift was a normal one, just a light tap with a quick quarter-pull on the clutch.

So, how often does this happen to you?

First time for me, popped out of gear in sixth, cruising easy on a slight incline at about 4000 rpm. Had picked up speed and upshifted from fifth about 30 seconds earlier. The shift was a normal one, just a light tap with a quick quarter-pull on the clutch.

So, how often does this happen to you?

Not real often - the few times it HAS happened I usually kick myself for shifting a little too fast and not getting it fully engaged. No biggie.

What kind of mileage/lube are we talking here?

duckbubbles

Hi, Stubble-

When you say "drop out of gear" do you mean a false neutral? I have been having an issue with my transmission where it shifts back to third gear from fourth after an upshift from third. It's happened quite often and I am concerned that the engagement dogs will become rounded off and really create a mess, of course, after the warranty is done. Also, did you happen to notice what the gear indicator was indicating? If it was blank, you may never have been in the gear good enough.

Frank

In general, shifting problems are not normal or acceptable, and never get better, only worse. If you are in warranty be sure to get the problem officially recorded by your dealer as having shown up within the warranty period. If you are out of warranty... pray.

When you say "drop out of gear" do you mean a false neutral?

I was just cruising along when it popped out of 6th into 'neutral' as though I had pulled the clutch. I didn't notice the gear indicator at the time. I enganged the clutch, dropped down to fourth (I had slowed a bit by this time) and released the clutch. The rest of the ride home was fine, including using sixth, but I went easy.

The bike has 12k, serviced a 6k and then 12k a couple of weeks ago by me. The tranny fluid looked great. Used BMW 75w140 synth in the trans. It's worth noting that since the fluid changes, shifting has improved in smoothness overall.

ShovelStrokeEd

I wouldn't be concerned over a single occurance. If it becomes a pattern, then there is certainly a problem. Either a bent shifter fork or engagement dogs/slots that have worn or were not correct to begin with. There are some pretty critical angles in there that serve to maintain a gear engagement. At 12K miles, the wear thing would be pretty far fetched. Again, though, even with partial engagement, the angle of the faces in the dog/slot combination should serve to keep the bike in gear.

Since this post I've made a point of my legs aggressively a few times, including shifting in and out of 6th and riding hard up through the rpm range (or the majority of it anyway, I'm a reasonable man grin.gif), with no further ill effects. I'm just going to consider it an anomoly for the time being smile.gif

Archived