IGNORED

Air box / Battery tray removal

Jim Moore

The OEM battery in my '02 GS leaked and made a huge mess. I replaced it a few months ago and cleaned up as best I could. Today as I was doing some other maintenance I noticed that the shrink wrap around the wire bundle under the battery tray and air box was dissolving and bare wires are exposed. I can't get the battery tray out (it looks impossible, am I missing something?) so I plan to remove the air box and clean and rewrap the wires. It looks to me like the only way to remove the air box is to lift the sub frame and pull it out from the back. Does anyone have another idea?

Also, I plan to use baking soda to neutralize and clean up the battery acid. if anyone has any thoughts on that I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

Jim VonBaden

Unfortunately you need to disconnect and tip up the rear subframe to do it. Basically half of a spline lube. Not at all easy. May as well do a spline lube while you are at it.

Jim cool.gif

May as well do a spline lube while you are at it.

Jim cool.gif

I'm going to consider that option. First I want to see what the wire bundle looks like.

There is a neturalizer for battery acid that comes in a spray can that foams when it hits the acid. It's useful when trying to get to hard to reach places and gives a good visual clue you "got it".

Rinse with water. Sorry to hear about the wires ouch.

You should find the neutralizer at NAPA. I believe I may have a can at the shop. If you want to try it, let me know and I will look for it.

There is a neturalizer for battery acid that comes in a spray can that foams when it hits the acid. It's useful when trying to get to hard to reach places and gives a good visual clue you "got it".

Rinse with water. Sorry to hear about the wires ouch.

Wurth battery post cleaner is what you want. I just used some on my bike last week. It works well.

Wurth USA products

Thanks again for the info, guys. I used baking soda because I had some around. I got everything put back together last night. I'll keep an eye on that spot, but hopefully I am good-to-go.

Archived