IGNORED

Mounting a Garmin 2720

ChrisA

I've decided to buy a Garmin 2720 GPS. I see on their website that they sell a Motorcycle mounting kit (unit bracket, power/audio cable, screws) and they also sell just the power/audio cable seperately.

I'm wondering if the unit bracket they sell is as good as a RAM mount bracket. Basically, whether to buy the Garmin kit or buy the RAM mount and power/audio cable seperately.

Also, with recent stories on GPS theft, is one better than the other for security. Or, is one easier than another to remove the unit and take it with me.

Garmin's motorcycle kit is fine for the price. I have been using one on my 2610 for two years with no problems. If you want a better mount you will be looking at Touratec or something similar for quite a bit more $$.

Actually you will still need something to mount the Garmin Motorcycle kit to the bike. I have used RAM mounts with good results. They make RAM kits that will bolt to the Garmin Kit.

The Garmin kit comes with a tamper resistant torx screw. It isn't going to stop a determined thief, but it is a device that might deter a casual attempt to remove your GPS. The good news is this mount easily allows the GPS to be removed and then securely stored. My setup has been trouble free.

I have the 2730 mounted on my '04 1150 RT. I use the Gamin mount atop a Tech Mount that fitsin the vacant handle bar mirror hole. I like the look a lot.

P5230129.jpg

Clean looking mount. Where did you set up the XM antenna? I am thinking of upgrading the 2610 to the 2730 in a few months to integrate XM into one unit. Are you using an additional amp for the sound?

Clean looking mount. Where did you set up the XM antenna? I am thinking of upgrading the 2610 to the 2730 in a few months to integrate XM into one unit. Are you using an additional amp for the sound?

I also got a longer arm for the mount as the 3" stock one blocked almost 1/2 of my mirror. Give them a call and you can probably order it that way, I had to send mine back to have it installed. But I do like the look of it.

I don't use the XM antenna, I don't subscribe. No additional amp either. I do turn the sound up to about 80 - 90% though. I ride in a 3/4 Scorpion helmet. I have ordered some er-6i earbuds, they will arive tomorrow.

I think I saw on Cycle Gadget website a mounting bracket for the XM antenna. It looks like it connects directly to the RAM cradle. Hard to tell from the pictures, take a look at the mounts for the 27xx or give them a call.

John Bentall

The big question for me is - having locked the GPS into the mount, how easy is it to remove the mount from the bike and cut the cables?

In my case, some with an Allen key could remove the mount quickly and walk off with mount+GPS.

The big question for me is - having locked the GPS into the mount, how easy is it to remove the mount from the bike and cut the cables?

In my case, some with an Allen key could remove the mount quickly and walk off with mount+GPS.

You are correct. If they want it, they will find a way to get it. I never leave mine on the bike if it is out of my sight for more than a minute and then I put the cover (Garmin, not M/C) on it.

They are easy enough to remove and put away, little tool, several turns, pop it off, stow it away and you have peace of mind.

One thing that you might want to take a look at is the BMW Navigator mount. It includes a set of "buttons" that sit on the left side of the unit. I do not know if this mount would be compatible with a Garmin 2720, but looking at the Nav II and the 2610, it seems as if they are identical. Since the 2720 formfactor is identical to the 2610, it might work.

Anyone?

The buttons on the BMW mount don't work with any Garmin units, they only work with the actual BMW Navigator unit (which is of course a modified Garmin unit!). Having had the BMW unit for over a year now I am glad I got it over a standard Garmin unit as the buttons are at times extremely useful when gloved up and certianly add to the functionality of the unit. Mind you whether they add £200 of functionality is debateable (the difference in price). Being a label tart has its disadvantages but heck, it's my money and I'll waste it how I like :-)

I have the Garmin 2730 mounted into a plastic clip in clip out RAM mount. I have it bolted with a few RAM adaptors to one of the bolts that holds the handle bars in place on my R1200RT. It's great because it sits right in the middle of the handle bars and is easy to see even with the tank bag on.

As for the satellite radio antenna I cut out a metal circle to match the size of the antenna base and then mounted that on top of the brake resivour on the left hand handle bar. I tried seeing if just using the magnet on the base of the antenna would hold it in place. It didn't so I simply added velcro and that solved the problem.

I looked at a tour a tech mount but I really didn't like the look of them and even though some have a locking mechanism I feel that if someone wants to take it that won't stop them.

durango

Plus the Garmin mount allows you to slightly change the angle on the unit on the fly if you need to avoid sunglare/etc..

Eh? How's that work? I just mounted mine and I didn't see that particular option so I have to keep adjusting the RAM mount to get it just right.

• 3 weeks later...

Any pictures of 2720 or 2820 on 1200RT. I am about to buy one, but still couldnt find a sharp and clean looking mount. I dont like the ones which comes on top the dashboard.

Cameraguy, your solution looks good, can you put another picture of it?

How can I wire it in a least expensive way? I dont want to cut any cables.

Eckhard Grohe

To all those that read this thread. Please remember that not only is the small Torx screw on a Garmin mount a theft deterrent but also an integral part of the mounting system. This screw should be tightened each and every time you mount the GPS or you may lose your GPS. It is the only thing that holds down the locking tab......

Boy this is frustrating at times...for the third time here goes.

I have a mount that I designed and had manufactured specifically for my Garmin which places it on the top triple clamp in the access hole for the steering bolt. I have tried to include a photo in this post 3 times but each time it is tooooo big and I get booted back to a 'time expired' page and have to write this thread over again from the beginning!!

Wish I could show you the picture!!!

Send me an email if you want to look at a really neat installation. I have a few extra mounts I had made for friends

Jim

I recently bought a 2730 and read that the connectors are suspect after frequent use. I decided to install the gps and the antenna as one unit on a ram bracket system using an automotive connector and leaving the garmin wiring in place. This also helps to remove the unit from the bike at the end of the ride or day (loosen ball joint and pull 2 prong connector apart). I would attach a pic but I can't compress the file to the 50k limit.

RD

Any pictures of 2720 or 2820 on 1200RT. I am about to buy one, but still couldnt find a sharp and clean looking mount. I dont like the ones which comes on top the dashboard.

Cameraguy, your solution looks good, can you put another picture of it?

How can I wire it in a least expensive way? I dont want to cut any cables.

Check out the pics on my website http://mywebpages.comcast.net/calberto/Bikes.htm

I'm using a RAM mount with the Garmin cradle and I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks Chris, it really looks neat. I am planning to put the 2820 close to grips like cameraguy did.

Is it possible to mount Garmins motorcycle mount directly on top of the clutch fluid cap with 4 bolts? (I never saw garmins mount so I dont know how its bottom looks like).

I'm assuming that most wire their GPS directly to the battery, hence the cable to the GPS is always hot. I'm thinking there may be issues with the cable being hot, how have you guys solved this or protected this cable from getting wet, shorting, etc?

Thanks!

Turn the gps off when your finished. End of worry.

Maybe not end of worry. What about when you take the GPS off the bike, like for an overnight stay, to prevent theft? You would unhook the cable from the GPS, remove the GPS off the bike, and now you have a hot cable hanging there. Or am I missing something?

One of us is missing something. I've been doing that for 54,000 miles on my 12GS and have seen no problem as yet. The cable just hangs there and waits for the sun to come up.

Thanks Chris, it really looks neat. I am planning to put the 2820 close to grips like cameraguy did.

Is it possible to mount Garmins motorcycle mount directly on top of the clutch fluid cap with 4 bolts? (I never saw garmins mount so I dont know how its bottom looks like).

The Garmin cradle does not swivel, it's fixed, so I doubt you could mount directly or the GPS would be pointing up in the air. You'll need a RAM ball to attach to the Garmin cradle, an arm and a mounting point. I decided to mount it down low, some like it mounted up on the bars. I also ran the wire under the tank panel, you have to remove the tankbag rack and the upper fairing panel before you remove the tank panel, but it makes for a clean install and takes maybe 1/2 hour to take off and put together, all with the #25 torx wrench.

As for the wiring. I wired mine direct to the battery. The Garmin cradle has a spot to put the wire when not attached to the unit. Also, the wire comes with a plastic cover, so I suppose you could cover it up with that when not in use, but you could not use the two together.

Jerry Johnston

You could make an "L" shaped braket that would attach to the top of your clutch fluid cap and then mount the garmin mount to it, somewhat similar to what some of us have done for a center handle-bar bracket.

You could make an "L" shaped braket that would attach to the top of your clutch fluid cap and then mount the garmin mount to it, somewhat similar to what some of us have done for a center handle-bar bracket.

I decided to do exactly the same thing. I am going to put the pictures here. Thanks for the advice.

Boy this is frustrating at times...for the third time here goes.

I have a mount that I designed and had manufactured specifically for my Garmin which places it on the top triple clamp in the access hole for the steering bolt. I have tried to include a photo in this post 3 times but each time it is tooooo big and I get booted back to a 'time expired' page and have to write this thread over again from the beginning!!

Wish I could show you the picture!!!

Send me an email if you want to look at a really neat installation. I have a few extra mounts I had made for friends

Jim

Jim,

Sorry about your pics and the time-outs (believe me, I feel your pain! dopeslap.gif ), but your mount solution sounds cool.

For posts, I do anything long or complicated in a text editor and then cut-and-paste the whole thing into a new post window. It's a PITA, but it saves me from throwing things! frown.gif

For pics, check out the Discussion Board Issues and Support forum or do a search on IrfanView for a free picture resizer to get it below 75k for attaching, or look into a web-based picture hosting site that you can link to to embed them directly in your posts. Otherwise, you can email them to me and I'll gladly host them for you on my SmugMug site. wave.gif

I guess the OP has already bought a 2620 for his R1200RT. I'm sorry no one warned him about the problems mounting those on a boxer motor. Did I hear correctly that the newer 2620 is solid state now instead of the sensitive microdrive? If not, I guess we'll hear if the vibration harmonics on the R1200RT are any better for that model GPS than the R1150RT's were! eek.giffrown.gif

Archived