IGNORED

Which saddle should I buy for my R1200RT

mos

I need to go to a better saddle for myself and passenger . Don't like the looks of the wider saddle on the R12RT but my butt needs some more comfort . So here we go . Want to keep the factory heat controls and make sure I don't lose to much distance to the ground ....30" inseam. Need some feed back from you guys .

Thanks , Mike confused.gif

If you don't care for the Russell or Mayer "wide" look, you should take a look at either Corbin or Sargeant. They both make quality saddles without the "wings".

I need to go to a better saddle for myself and passenger . Don't like the looks of the wider saddle on the R12RT but my butt needs some more comfort . So here we go . Want to keep the factory heat controls and make sure I don't lose to much distance to the ground ....30" inseam. Need some feed back from you guys .

Good luck Mike. This topic was covered recently with no good solution found. It seems basically all aftermarket seats add height either from just being thicker than stock or being wider thus spreading your feet out more. If you DO find a solution, please post about it. I'm using the stock low seat with a sheepskin which is working ok so far for me.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket seat that combines low height and a narrow profile while enhancing comfort... the two objectives are kind of opposed to one another. I'd suggest looking at a Russell, though. The Russell 'wings' may not make for the most attractive seat in the world but they have several positive functions. The obvious benefit is the high level of thigh support and resultant comfort, but the design also lets you slide forward just a bit at a stop which places your legs at the narrow part of the seat which helps with footing. Everyone who owns a Russell knows what I'm talking about and you get the drill down fast.

If you can't stand the Russell look try the 'half moon' pattern, IMO that helps a lot in making the seat look modern and appropriate to an RT.

I'd suggest looking at a Russell, though.

If you can't stand the Russell look try the 'half moon' pattern, IMO that helps a lot in making the seat look modern and appropriate to an RT.

I'll second these points. Just got my Russell back and am quite pleased with the looks of the half moon pattern on my 12RT.

Definitely talk to the folks at Russell about your concerns. They do discuss this on their web site's FAQ: CLICK HERE

Should you decide to get the Day-Long, expect to wait as they schedule all conversions. I was fortunate to call when they had a cancellation so my wait was just over a month from when I contacted Russell until I needed to send in my saddle. Otherwise it would've been another month or two.

The entire process (ship to Russell, saddle conversion, ship back) takes about three weeks.

Good luck, thumbsup.gif

Greg

talked to a Sargeant guy about seats as I live in Fla and Jacksonville is close enough. he mentioned he could alter my seat in about 1 week and gave me all the directions to mark the seat and photo etc. then he said it would be around $180 I think. so I lucked into a corbin that a guy had and was not liking, bought it cheap. got out the drill and removed the rivits and took a hacksaw blade and started, my goal was to open it up and add some padding. that did 2 things oddly it increased comfort buy by bringing my butt up 3/8" it made the thick wide feeling of the front of the saddle ... go away. I used about a 8" square of carpet and slipped it into the slot I cut in the corbin. then re-rivited and it's good to go. corbin uses injection type foam cuts ez with hack saw. I have had most aftermarket seats except Sargeant and for the money spent from now on I will mod my own seat or do just what I did. If you are uncomfortable with doing it yourself a local upholstery (sp?) guy will usually help up out faster than any aftermarket and most often for less cash. mod your own is a opt.

lawnchairboy

low seat, 32" inseam, airhawk ... AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

does add about an inch though, with the low seat, no problem

George Brown
If you don't care for the Russell or Mayer "wide" look, you should take a look at either Corbin or Sargeant. They both make quality saddles without the "wings".

I don't have any R12RT experience but my R1100RT came with a Corbin and I switched to a Sargeant. I found the Sergeant to be a little slimer in the front area which permitted me to flat foot the bike easier with my 29" inseam.

for what it's worth, I had the SARGENT on my FJR and was very happy with it. It was actually slightly lower than stock but because of more lateral thigh support the net result was feet to the ground was essentailly unchanged. It did take sometime to break in but it is definitely not as firm as Corbin.

If you want to keep the factory heat controls you are pretty much limited to Russel or Mayer. Both of them will rebuild your seat and retain the original heating elements and wiring. I had a Rick Mayer saddle on my 1150RT and loved it. I sent my seat out to him to re-do and an I am anxiously awaiting its return. On my 1150 RT I was able to do as much as 1100 miles in a day with the Rick Mayer seat. I understand Russell seats are as good but I have no experience with one so can't comment.

Touratech now do seats for the R1200RT, I am awaiting a reply from them about using the OEM switches for the heated seats. They have 3 different heights.

This is from Touratech UK site

Look HERE

My BMW dealer and I have been trying to get some info from Tourtech and Wunderlich about their seats without any luck . Let me know how you make out !

Mike

I had Rick do my fjr saddle before i bought the sargent sad sorry to say i was not happy with it.the workmanship was fair <it had ripples and had to be sent back for a redo>. that aside i just didn't notice any significant increase in comfort. sold it and bought the sargent which i liked. After todays ride i think i'm about to order one for the RT unless the consensus is that something else is superior. the russel sounds great but is too funky for my taste.

Does the RT's saddle improve with time?

quaintance
My BMW dealer and I have been trying to get some info from Tourtech and Wunderlich about their seats without any luck . Let me know how you make out !

Mike

I too am in search of new seats for me and my pillion on the 1200RT and I was looking at the Wunderlich or Corbin options... I was particularly interested in the Wunderlich seats but also have found little info on them outside of their catalog... wanted to speak to someone who actually had one.

what is your impression of the comfort of the sargent vs. corbin vs. stock not with standing the flatfooting issue, thanks.

Steve,

outa the 3 you mentioned Sarg is the best/most comfort and they are in Jacksonville. Not all that far from you, they have a demo in their store and they can also measure you there for custom or alter your current seat.

Touratech now do seats for the R1200RT, I am awaiting a reply from them about using the OEM switches for the heated seats. They have 3 different heights.

Look HERE

Hi George

Just in case they take a while getting back to you here are the answers from Touratech to the questions I asked:

Can your replacement driver seat be used in conjunction with the standard BMW passenger seat or must that also be replaced? - Yes you can use our rider seat witht he original BMW pillion seat

How do your 'high', 'standard' and 'low' seats compare to the BMW originals. While I usually run my standard BMW seat on the higher seat setting the R1200RT is a tall bike and I dont think I'd like to go any higher so which would you recommend? - The seat heights are the same as the BMW seat heights.

Do you heated seats just plug straight in to the existing BMW wiring, allowing me to use the handlebar seat temperature controls for the driver seat? ( the BMW passenger seat has an inbuilt 2 level switch to control the heating, is yours the same?) - Yes the seat plugs in the same way the BMW one does

I've checked all over the US Tourtech web site and can't find any reference to seats. Are these available only in the UK and not the US?

They are definitely on the UK website, in three versions - High, Standard and Low...all available heated or non-heated..and Touratech have told me they are a straight plug-in replacement and use the BMW wiring and switches. Mind you, judging by what they also say on the website (see below) am not sure they are available in the UK either!!!!

Dear Customers,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your custom so far this year and even more so for your patience. We know we have issues with delivery times but we are trying really hard to get back on track.

Look HERE

Hi George

Just in case they take a while getting back to you here are the answers from Touratech to the questions I asked:

Can your replacement driver seat be used in conjunction with the standard BMW passenger seat or must that also be replaced? - Yes you can use our rider seat witht he original BMW pillion seat

How do your 'high', 'standard' and 'low' seats compare to the BMW originals. While I usually run my standard BMW seat on the higher seat setting the R1200RT is a tall bike and I dont think I'd like to go any higher so which would you recommend? - The seat heights are the same as the BMW seat heights.

Do you heated seats just plug straight in to the existing BMW wiring, allowing me to use the handlebar seat temperature controls for the driver seat? ( the BMW passenger seat has an inbuilt 2 level switch to control the heating, is yours the same?) - Yes the seat plugs in the same way the BMW one does

Graham, many thanks for that. Did you end up getting one?

I think my seat has been worn out by my rather large bulk. 12K on the bike and at first the seat was fine, however lately I seem to be feeling the edges of the seat pan more, as though the foam has lost its spring.

I also asked them if I could try one out, they are in Wales, so a good ride out would get me the right seat, as I am a bit of a short-arse, and at £500 a pair they need to be correct.

HERE is a link to the seating page, for all you US guys thumbsup.gif

Hi George

No havent got one yet, mainly because I too think I'd need to try first as £500+ is a big mistake to make if not right. I hate the stock seat with a vengeance...just find it so uncomfortable after an hour or so... In some ways I find it hard to beleive that BMW have equiped such a great bike wiht such a poor seat. Have looked at Sergant seats but they dont do a version compatable wiht BMW heaitng cotrols, they have their own controller for handlebars. Mine are cluttered enough with ESA, radio, etc etc without adding more switches..plus I paid for BMW heaitng so would like to use the controls....!!!

Having read about this seat (Kontour) on the website it sounds pretty impressive, or I am just taken in with clever marketing.

Has anyone tried these guys in Birmingham?

http://www.ppseat.co.uk/

Hating the stock seat with a vengeance is an understatement; it keeps me awake at night that I spent this much money on a bike with such an awful seat. Anyway the search goes on.

Bob

Anyone tried a Kontour seat? I'm tempted because of the air circulation. Wouldn't need the sheepskin - one less thing to mess with. They keep the factory heat.

I contacted PP seats. They respinded very quickl;y but couldnt help

We dont do an after market seat for your bike

What i would usually sugest is havin gels inserted to your seat, however this will stop the heated bit of the seat working.

have you got a spare seat we could rework for you?

I'm glad I am not the only saddo losing sleep over the seat question!! am looking at the Wunderlich seats too. Cant send you a link cos their site is pants and doesnt show seat online. You have to download the R1200RT brochure to see them

I am touring Eastern Europe from 20 July with an airhawk; without the airhawk it would be torture. However, having looked at the Wunderlich catalogue I might swing by Wunderlich in Germany and check it out.

However, I would be interested in any comments on the Touratech seat if anyone has any?

Saddo Bob

I am ordering one tomorrow, Nick, says they have none it at the moment.He also said they will send one out, and if you do not like it, send it back for a refund.

To read about Boffins experience with P and P seats read HERE

I would be careful about calling into Sinzig to Wunderlich, talk about a kid in a toy shop grin.gifgrin.gif

Here are Boffins seats

bikeseat26dk.jpg

Ok thanks for all the input . I am going to have Bill Mayer build me a seat. It will be leather and retain the BMW heat and controls . I have been told that he can build a rider's seat so that it will have little or no wings/tractor style. I will have it back for the VT Rally . It will be at the rally Friday & Saturday leaving Sunday for a weeks ride. I will post my feed back once I get the seat ... thumbsup.gif

I am going to have Bill Mayer build me a seat. It will be leather and retain the BMW heat and controls. I have been told that he can build a rider's seat so that it will have little or no wings/tractor style. I will post my feed back once I get the seat ... thumbsup.gif

Please post some pictures too!

Archived