IGNORED

Another Ohlins question

Blue Beemer Dude

Blue Beemer Dude

I've gotta change my signature here, as I've sold the LT. Never rode it, why would I when I've got an RT ready to go? grin.gif

So, that means that I've got lots of farkle bucks! My '04 has about 12K miles on it, barely broken-in, and I don't know if I'm just getting paranoid or losing my mind due to advanced age, but I think the handling is starting to go into the crapper. I'm not riding as aggressively as I used to, but on rough roads, the bike feels like it's sliding out a bit, and I am not enjoying it.

However, I am cheap. I define thrifty. Miserly, some might call me. I hate to drop over a thousand dollars on shocks if my ride quality will decrease and/or handling won't get noticeably better. I was thinking of Works shocks, but despite some reports of good experiences with them, many people report poor customer service and lackluster rebuild turnarounds, etc.

OK, you still with me here? smirk.gif So, here are my questions:

a) should I just wait a while and get the full life out of my OE shocks before replacing them?

b) if I go with Ohlins, what will happen to my ride quality? I'm sure the handling will improve, but if I could also get a better quality ride, it will help to push me over the edge, decision-wise.

c) what vendor would you recommend I purchase these from? I'd like to get the best price possible (who wouldn't?).

Thanks all! thumbsup.gif

Michael

Ohlins are expensive, but well worth the money in my opinion. On your first ride with Ohlins you will immediately feel the difference. Expansion cracks, rough pavement and small bumps will disappear--the ride quality will go up several notches. At the same time aggressive riding will be stable smooth and predictable. Of course you'll have to spend some time dialing in the suspension, but that shouldn't take longer than an afternoon on some of your favorite roads.

I've had good luck with Kyle Racing in Sand City, CA, but there are many other good shops to choose from.

duckbubbles

Hi, Michael-

Have you ever had premium aftermarket shocks on any of your bikes? That should be your answer as to ride quality.

The best thing I can say is that great shocks give the option of how you want the ride to feel. Adjustable compression damping can soften the blows or bounce the wheel off the ground. Adjustable rebound can wallow and hobbyhorse up and down or stop the bounce in half a stroke. Spring preload goes with them both.

Once you get the suspension sag dialed in, you can tailor the ride with the damping adjustments. I personally prefer a snug, taught feeling. Maybe you want to float with no road feedback. Premium shocks give you the options.

By the way, with just over 12,000 miles on my ST, I can feel that the shocks have given up some, especially the rear. I just put some Wilbers on it and can't wait to thrash it around some. The Premium shock folks will ask you how much you weigh, what your riding style is and if you carry a lot of crap. If they don't, go somewhere else to get the shocks.

Buying the Wilbers was a leap of faith for me, as both my other bikes wear Ohlins. Haven't had any experience with the Wilbers yet, as my seat is out being recontoured and recovered. What luck.

Frank

John in VA

An RT with Ohlins rides and handles better than a brand new RT with OEM shocks. Spend the money now on Ohlins. You'll notice a huge improvement and you definitely won't regret it. thumbsup.gif

Yeeha! Stephen

Ditto what LimeCreek said. I was one of those who waited until the stockers were leaking... shouldn't have waited.

My first words to everybody: "When did they re-pave all the roads around here?"

Blue Beemer Dude

Thanks everyone for the comments! I'm just about over the edge, now I've got to find a source.

Michael

Thanks everyone for the comments! I'm just about over the edge, now I've got to find a source.

Michael

Kyle Racing in Ca

While I have no doubt that Ohlins shocks will improve the ride, but this is only if set up right. I understand there is quite a range of adjustments.

Does anyone have settings that give good results that you can share ?

Blue Beemer Dude

Thanks all for the advice. I started debating the Ohlins versus Wilbers, but when calling Kyle Racing for pricing, I realized that I should stop dicking around and just do it (and they had a good price) so I went ahead and ordered a set. thumbsup.gif

Again, thanks to all for the advice and recomendations.

Michael

While I have no doubt that Ohlins shocks will improve the ride, but this is only if set up right. I understand there is quite a range of adjustments.

Does anyone have settings that give good results that you can share ?

Yes...I've written a step by step installation and set up guide that should get you going in the right direction. PM me and I'll be glad to send them to you. thumbsup.gif

Should I be concerned that he doesn't list the 1150RT?

I didn't see the R1100RT listed either but I know they have them.

Be sure to order the proper springs for you weight, You will need to decide if you want to order springs for 'one up' riding with the occasional 'two up' or primarily as two up riding. If you set it up for two up, your ride will be very stiff during one up. Order for your avg ride weight. Kyle racing is quite helpful with this, and if the spring ratings don't work out I believe he'll swap em out for you at no charge (don't quote me on that).

Don't be concerned if Dan (at Kyle Racing))doesn't have your bike listed on his website. He is the largest Ohlins distributor east of the rockies. And yes if you are not satisfied with the spring, he will change it for you even though you made the decision when he ask's dopeslap.gif. He has a full range of springs sitting on the shelf. thumbsup.gif If he doesn't have what you need, he can get it fast.

I just installed some new Ohlins on my 2000RT. The install went without a hitch (except for that tricky tourque thing with the front top). Ride is vastly improved and handling is now quite surprisingly better. Of course my front shock was the original. I replaced the rear with another stocker around 38k and it too was totally shot. Steering has become a little sluggish and I suspect it's the settings.

I worked with Alex at Kyle. My front was back ordered but arrived within a couple of weeks of placing my order and both were shipped soon after. They either have 'em for the 1150 (most likely) or will get them quickly.

I wouldn't mind reading about that setup guide myself.

Les is more

Tool Man was kind enough to allow his set up article to be used in a Wikihow page that Killer has set up. It's right here.

Thanks Mikey and thanks Bob.

Mike, I used to have the same bike as you, and we're probably close enough in weight. So I'll throw my settings out back when I had one:

Settings With Gear/No Passenger

Front

38psi pressure

22/30 rebound

Rear

40psi pressure

34/60 rebound

Preload

12 of 27 turns

Settings With No Gear/No Passenger

Front

38psi pressure

20/30 rebound

Rear

40psi pressure

28/60 rebound

Preload

08 of 27 turns

I had to play around a ton to settle on these--maybe they'll give you some benchmarks.

Archived