IGNORED

ESA rebuildable?

mmmoore

I do not remember seeing this answered yet, sorry if it is repeat. Are the ESA shocks rebuildable? Does anyone know the cost? If not rebuildable how much to replace expired ESA shocks? Just looking at the cost structure for long term as the Ohlins adjustable only have dampning adujustment (multiple save points) no preload adjustment, if I read their data sheet right.

Thanks thumbsup.gif

All this talk about ESA got me thinking about replacement costs because to my knowledge the factory ESA shocks are not rebuildable.

If you go to Chicago BMW pricing I recall the rear unit costing around $1150.00 and the front being around $800.00. I hope my shocks last for 50000 miles. At that time if they last that long I would replace them. Who knows, by that time Ohlin or Wilber might have an ESA compatible unit with the rebuildable advantages in their design. There will be enough ESA systems out there by then that I would think there is a good chance some high end suspension manufacturer will have electronically adjustable units. The question is will the current ESA shocks last 50000 miles. I am not aware of anyone has that many miles on the system yet.

thumbsup.gif

That's kind of what I thought the status was, and thanks for the input thumbsup.gif I'm sure the future holds many now toyz to suck up our $$. When I get ready to spring I will put all of the options available at that time on the table and make a decision. I do like the utility of the ESA option and the Ohlin/Wilber options are also known and viable.

Thanks for the answer Mudman.

I have heard that the ESA shocks are White Power and if that is the case there are shock absorber rebuilders here in Australia that claim they can rebuild any kind of shock absorber and particularly high end brands like White Power. There is really no reason the shocks can't be rebuilt unless it is the electronics that have failed and even then they are only stepper motors controlling valves and that should be easy to repair assuming the spares are available. I might give the repairers a call on Monday and ask if they can be repaired. I will let you know the outcome.

Dave Glen, Victoria, Australia

That does not surprise me. The normal OEM shock supplier is showa and they have a pretty weak record for wear. Most owners report them worn by 30000 miles. If we got White Power shocks with the ESA option they might be more durable, even rebuildable by specialty shops. thumbsup.gif

I have looked at my ESA units they don't appear to be showa.

Can you give the source of the White Power claim?

I went for a nice ride today in the mountains with another list member. I have to say I am really liking my ESA, especially when pushing tight mountain riding. The ability to change the dampening on the fly as the ride unfolds is brilliant clap.gif

Thanks

chrisolson

Can you give the source of the White Power claim?
the wp site HERE - navigate to Products (top menu) -> BMW products (left menu) - says they developed the BMW ESA system.

On your RT, you might be able to compare the pictures to what's on your bike or contact them for confirmation about the RT and any information regarding rebuilding.

The ESA rear shock on my GT clearly has a WP label as well as a BMW one....can't see the front well enough...

The ability to change the dampening on the fly as the ride unfolds is brilliant clap.gif

A word of caution here.

Make sure the suspension is set properly for the road conditions.

On a recent ride with my ESA equipped K1200S, I softened up the dampening for a relatively flat/straight stretch of road. I hit a dip in the road & the next thing I knew I was flying off the seat & pegs (but my hands were still firmly attached to the bars). The road had a turn to the left & somehow I was able to recover blush.gif

Thanks a bunch, Chris. That is exactly the information I wanted. This is great to know if you have an ESA equipped BMW thumbsup.gif

True enough. I have been riding in "normal" most of the time and find it similar to a non ESA bike. The only time I have used "comfort" is when riding long stretches of highway. I don't use comfort much and have found with anything over the low preload it seems too bounce prone as you described. Any thing resembling sport ride I have always used "sport" mode. Used this way on my bike I have no issues so far.

cool.gif

ChrisRappl

Is it possible that by being able to keep the shocks adjusted properly for changing riding conditions that they might actually work less and therefore last longer? Just a thought.

I checked the shock absorber rebuilders yesterday and they assured me that if they are White Power shocks they will be able to be repaired but just about all shocks can be repaired.

The bloke also said that essentially shocks dont wear out, it is the oil that wears out or becomes contaminated and the seals wear out. He couldn't give me a quote because he hadn't repaired 1200RT shocks yet but suggested that from 40,000 kms most shocks need a rebuild.

Dave Glen, Victoria, Australia

St0nkingByte

That's great information, there's been a fair amount of fear-uncertainty-doubt (FUD) with regard to the ESA shocks. It's neat to see that we can now replace them with Ohlins for sure and we can most likely have them rebuild too. Options are a good thing. thumbsup.gif

Archived