IGNORED

Flip front Helmet advice

bluepassat

bluepassat

I have just sold my sports bike, and now have a BMW R1100RT and looking for advice for a new helmet

I would like a flip front helmet; I have heard that Lazer make one however wind noise can be heard, as they don’t form a good seal any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Francois_Dumas

Nolan Classic 100E here, works well... next time I'd buy a helmet with a built-in sun visor though !

Hi I have just replaced my BMW System IV with a new System V and I ride an 1100RT, after a couple of days with my head feeling like it has been in a vice, its now very comfortable and a lot quieter than the old model, and the intercom fits in better as the ear pieces fit into special pockets

Darren

chrisolson

... however wind noise can be heard
In most cases wearing earplugs renders moot most discussions of how quite one helmet is vs. another anyway. grin.gif

As I'm sure you know, a comfortable fit is important regardless of brand. So, try on the Nolan, the Concept and Shoei and as many others you can find and go from there.

The flip down internal sun visor of the Concept is a great feature that once you have it, its hard to imagine being without. But they're not cheap and many people report that they don't fit their head shape.

Another vote for the Nolan 102. Very comfortable.

The flip-faces are noisier than the one-piece styles with their inherent design/aerodynamics.

I just got back from a 6000 mile trip with my new Nolan 102, I really liked it. I got rid of the sun blocker and put on a dark smoke visor.

Just got a Nolan 102 and I like the fit and quality but that stupid visor, external to the face shield is a waste. Gotta have the face shield down to use it. I have a Jarrow also, now Caberg, that I like a lot. The sun visor is internal to the face shield and can be used without the shield down. Earplugs are the best answer for wind noise, always inherent with flip front helmets. Maybe some of the $400+ helmets are quieter, but you have to question the value in paying that much for something recommended for replacement every couple of years. And, no flip front helmet will have both DOT and SNELL apporval.

baggerchris

Then the 35 year old Bell 3/4 that I use is probably: "unsafe at any speed", Especially since I have crashed with it twice (in the early 70's bonking my head both times, with no ill effects). eek.gif

bluepassat

Thanks guys for all the input its much appreciated, I have a list of helmets to check out

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

regards

bluepassat

My post was intended to be about the brand of flip front, not helmet life. You appear to have misconstrued the post. You gotta decide when to replacfe your helmet. I don't just get rid of a helment because people who make them suggest we do so! Gee, imagine a mfgr or vendor encouraging product replacement. Nah, I have a flip front and a full face that are much more than a couple years old. (I hope a thread similar to cannister removal doesn't spawn from this simple topic!!!)

Hi, all. I don't intend this to be a hijack. I have thought about getting a flip-up, but I worry about how safe one is. A thread on another BBS speaks to this. Any comments? (I hope that I haven't committed a faux pas here by referencing another BBS. Please forgive me if I have.) TIA.

Personally, I like the Caberg flip helmet (formerly Arrow / Jarow). They have the drop down sun shield like the Schuberth and are pretty quiet as flip helmets go.

Personally, I like the Caberg flip helmet (formerly Arrow / Jarow).

Any issues with the visor leaking? I've read a few reviews where the wearer complained of rain or snow coming through the seams along the top of the visor.

TIA

Jim

DavidEBSmith

I have thought about getting a flip-up, but I worry about how safe one is.

Simple logic tells you they provide less protection than a solid full-face, more protection than an open face. Where the line falls between the two, and how close it is to one extreme or the other is the question. Some people have face planted in flip-ups and been fine, some people have had the chinbar fail. The numbers are too small to come to a reliable conclusion. Whether you want to make your decision on the basis of one anecdote is a question of your evaluation of risk. If you worry, and you don't feel that the features of a flip-up are very important to you, don't buy one.

My Jarrow/now Caberg does not leak if the face shield is properly fully down. If it is left ajar, the top seal cannot seal and they leak. I am guessing those with leak problems, did not have the shield fully down. David's comments are appropriate. Any helmet, with the right force applied in a get off, can fail. If you smack your head hard enough, regardless of what you have on your head, injury will occur.

Thanks guys for all the input its much appreciated, I have a list of helmets to check out

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

regards

bluepassat

That is the secret: try them out. The various manufacturers have differing ideas about head shapes, and not all will fit your head conmfortably. Tryin' em' on is the only way to know.

Personally, I like the Caberg flip helmet (formerly Arrow / Jarow).

Any issues with the visor leaking? I've read a few reviews where the wearer complained of rain or snow coming through the seams along the top of the visor.

TIA

Jim

I have a Jarrow, biggest waste of money I've had, m/c wise.

Leaks, noise, crappy materials crappier support from the distributor. I may have felt differant but I replaced a Schuberth with the Jarrow.

I used it for about a 1000 miles and many calls and e-mails to the distributor later, I retired it to use as book end in the garage.

YMMV,

My Jarrow/now Caberg does not leak if the face shield is properly fully down. If it is left ajar, the top seal cannot seal and they leak. I am guessing those with leak problems, did not have the shield fully down. David's comments are appropriate. Any helmet, with the right force applied in a get off, can fail. If you smack your head hard enough, regardless of what you have on your head, injury will occur.

Tom, I agree the statement about no helmet being safe. (Safer but not safe)

But my Jarrow leaked, no not leaked but poured with the shield fully down and in place. You can see space between the helmet and the shield.

My wife is on her second HJC flipper and likes them. I'm replacing my Arai this winter. With what? I haven't decided yet, C-2, 102, etc.

YMMV.

I don't see that anyone has mentioned the latches.

Be sure to look at the latches where the flip-up latches to the main shell of the helmet.

Make SURE they are metal. NOT plastic.

As far as my opnion, I won't wear one, one piece full face for me, but thats just me.

Roger

You can see by the replies that experiences vary, of course, which is why there are many products to choose from. I just got a Nolan N102, and still use the Jarow. The Nolan is very well made but think about that visor which is useless unless you have the face shield in the down position. I like to ride with the shield up some of the time so the Nolan visor stinks.

Good luck finding a helmet you like.

GelandeStrasseWayne

I have the Schuberth C2 and it has three nice features. It has metal latches for the chinbar, indicators that tell if it is latched on both sides, and an interior flip down sun shade that works very well.

Tom, Maybe we could meet up sometime and compare the helmets. I live down the road in SE KAnsas. Sounds like we've got two entirely different helmets.

Rob

Got a Caberg here. I just rode through a torrential downpour on the NYS Thruway (I-90). I spent three hours riding through dime-sized raindrops with my Caberg at 65 mph. I did not experience a single leak from the visor. I did get a little water enter through the open chin vent, but when I closed that I was sealed in tight. Fogging wasn't a problem either.

thumbsup.gif for the Caberg!

I have several very expensive Arai helmets and wear my 2 year old Jarrow Mono most of time. It is the quietest of all my helmets. I can't attest to it's waterproofness as I live in Arizona where it only rains 7" a year, smile.gif but the shield seems to seal very tight.

I read a helmet review on another forum that was published in a British mag at the beginning of the year and of 20+ helmets tested, the Caberg ranked something like 13th and was one of two flip helmets that made the list. Helmet Helmet Harbor is located nearby and I've been to the store to inspect and try on the Caberg. It seems very well made and was almost as comfortable as my Arai. I plan on upgrading to that helmet when I can scrape together the extra pesos.

I think it's worth taking a look it before you make a final decision.

Archived