IGNORED

R12ST Duffel Bag Tie-Down

Bill Murray

Bill Murray

I am heading to the BMW MOA rally in a couple of weeks and need some advice from my fellow R12ST riders on the best method for tying down a duffel-type bag on the R12ST.

I have a BMW duffel bag which I used frequently on my previous K-bike. Until now, I have not had a need to use my duffle bag on the R12ST (only a couple of short overnight trips thus far). This BMW duffel bag has two pairs of D-rings, with each pair of D-rings being spread about 15 inches apart. I looked at tying the bag to the tail rack, but I was not able to find a way to firmly secure the bag there and did not like the idea of placing that much weight that far to the rear.

The new-style hard bags and R12ST bodywork/rear frame do not seem to offer many options for tying down this duffel bag with the saddlebags in place. Thus far, the cleanest option appears to be to loop the tie-down strap underneath the saddlebag-to frame mounts. I am not satisfied with this arrangement because I do not want to apply much upward force to the saddlebags/saddlebag mounts.

So, what have you found to be the best method for tying down a duffel-type bag to your R12ST?

1hawkrider

Nice bike Bill!

First of all, are you going single or 2-up? I just returned from a 7 day trip on the ST; riding 1-up. I fit everything I need (clothes, tools, etc) in the hard cases; and I pack kind of heavy. The only thing I had strapped to the back was a sleeping bag and rain gear; not very heavy. How big and heavy is that duffle? I wouldn't think it should be a problem to strap it to the rear rack, since BMW makes a top case to mount there. Anyway, what I did was place the "stuff" partially on the rear rack and part on the rear seat, securing it with a bungee net. I attached the rear hooks to the rack and the forward hooks I stretched down to the frame rails by the rear footpegs. This put the straps in front of the side cases (not over, or under). No extra load on the cases and everything stayed secure.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Lou.

R4ND0M_AX3

I use one of those bungy net things to hold my large overstuffed laptop bag on top of the passenger seat.

I used the system you said you were leary about last year on my trip out west with no problems. I used rok straps looped together with Helen twowheels bags for tent and sleeping system.

29952473-M.jpg

29952368-M.jpg

I wish bungy buddies worked on the new bags but this is the only way I could figue it out for now.

Bill Murray

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and feedback on mounting methods that you have found to work. You guys are terrific. thumbsup.gif

Archived