IGNORED

Tires for my R1200RT

Big Bird

dopeslap.gifI have about 9000 miles on my 2005 RT. Neither of the tires looks all that bad but, I have the loud noise from the front with, miner cupping. I am planning a 3000 mile trip to Vermont in a couple of weeks and am hoping for some input about new tires.
Exploreinman

My '05 RT came with Michelin Pilots and I'm surprised at the miles I'm getting out of them. I'm at 7300 miles and the rear looks like it easily has 3000 miles left before I hit the wear bars. Interestingly, the front tire looks like it's wearing more than the rear. I rode a Yamaha FJR for 2.5 years and never got anything over 7000 miles on a set of tires (Metzler or Michelins).

Stephen

My 05 RT came with pilot roads, i got 13,200 mi. out of them, i put conti road attacks on, really like them, less noise and smoother ride, only hope they last like the others.

My '06R12RT came with Michelin Pilots. Had 3 sets of Pilot roads on my 99R11S and liked them - initial turn in somewhat lazy - though a few people (Boxertrix.com is another great web site) commented they took a while to warm up.

I find the Pilots on the RT quite noisey, the dry road holding great (has not rained since I got the bike so no thoughts there) yet I think the rounder front profile is causing some nervous shifting around on the road when I get serious buffeting from gusty headwinds or semi-trailers (screen down or up no difference).

When the Pilots wear out I'm going to try the Conti's.

I have Dunlop Sportmax D220's on my 06 RT. 5,500 Miles and the second back tyre is ready to change, 3,000 out of the first one. The front is down to it's minimum depth too, I'm going to try Conti Road attack, I see on the Conti Web site they say these tyres are now OE on the 1200RT.

The Dunlops are great, just a bit soft and wear like hell!

Currently have the Bridgestone 020 with 5500 miles. Plenty of wear left (can't guess how much though) but they are squaring off.

After reading recommendations on just about every tyre out there, I've decided to get the Conti Road Attacks.

Cheers,

Bob

Riderbob,

As you are based in Maidenhead, might I suggest Micheldever Tyres near Andover. Good value and they know what they are doing. In April, mine were £182 fitted.

As is customary, no connection, blah, blah, blah.

Thanks Paul, As it happens I just received this tip from George (above), so I will be making the trip to Micheldever Tyres in the very near future.

Ta,

Bob

Exploreinman

I agree with the comment on the Pilot's being noisy. I just got back from a trip to New England and Quebec, which I installed an Aeroflow screen for the trip, and I really noticed how loud the tires are. Any others out there that can comment on the Conti Attacks?

Stephen

I agree with the comment on the Pilot's being noisy. I just got back from a trip to New England and Quebec, which I installed an Aeroflow screen for the trip, and I really noticed how loud the tires are. Any others out there that can comment on the Conti Attacks?

Stephen

Not on a R1200RT but they are the best tyre for wet grip, ride and feel I have ever fitted to my R1150RT. I love 'em to bits and am having another set fitted on Friday at the aforementioned Micheldever tyres (£183 fitted on a ride-in ride-out basis). The set that I am changing has done 6.5K miles and are just below the legal limit but still give confident cornering.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Wow, I'm taking my '05 RT in this week for the 18k service and another rear tire. This will be my forth.

Bike came with BStone 020's, not my favorites, rear replaced at 6k, with Mez 06, at 12K both ft and back replaced with Mich Pilot Road's, now at 18k, the rear is down to the wear bars and the front is fine.

I was able to get about 9k average on my '97 RT with the best mileage from Dunlop 205's.

Deffinately, YMMV

Exploreinman

When I had my Yamaha FJR, most riders were reporting that they were getting great mileage and performance from Avon's sport-touring tire. Has anyone tried Avon tires on their RT?

Stephen

I'd like to know if anybody has tried the Avons, too.

FWIW, I've found the Metzler Z6s to be very quiet, to handle well, and to last (rear) about 8000 on mid-Atlantic roads.

Way, way, better than the original Dunlop 220s.

I have BT 020s on my '05 RT. I replaced the front at 9000 miles. It had plenty of tread left, but w/ minor cupping, I wanted it replaced before I set off across the country. The rear has nearly 9000 on it, and it still has a good amount of tread left. It's being replaced before I head back to CA from Boston.

My bike came with Conti Road Attacks and I love them. They seem to wear well (I have about 6300 kms on them) and they grip is great in all conditions. When these wear out I am going to replace them with anohter set.

Archived