IGNORED

Just a rant!

bmweerman

I just finished getting my RT readt for another long road trip and did the fuel filter replacement myself for the first time.

Is it just me or is that really a DA design?! eek.gif

duckbubbles

Much more trouble than it has to be. Many on this site have coverted to an external filter. All the more reason to buy a hexhead, they fixed that gripe.

Frank

All the more reason to buy a hexhead, they fixed that gripe.

How so?

Stan

Stan,

They simply eliminated the filter replacement requirement. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif They don't recycle the fuel like we do. They have pressure sensors too.

Mick

Stan Walker

They simply eliminated the filter replacement requirement

Seems to me that if you put a the same quantity of dirt into the two gas tanks both systems will filter out about the same amount of the dirt, and clog at about the same time.

Cycling clean fuel through a filter doesn't affect it. I suspect that the older system would go 100,000 miles or more if you never bought any bad gas.

I think this is more of a perceived improvement than a real improvement. Have you priced the cost to replace the "new" fuel filter? <grin>

Stan

duckbubbles
All the more reason to buy a hexhead, they fixed that gripe.

How so?

Stan

Hey guys, the filter is mounted on the outside of the tank, right out there in the open after a body side panel removal.

I don't care if they don't say when it should be replaced, (I'll bet they do) sooner or later enough crud will be stopped by it to restrict flow.

Frank

Actually this is a sound design that I won't change. The reason the factory did not put an external fuel filter was to reduce the chance of a fuel fire while riding. Filter cannisters do and have sprung pin hole leaks in normal operation. In the designed location this simply means a drivability problem when the leak is sufficent to reduce the delivered 42.5 PSI fuel pressure to the injectors. Take that same filter subject it to direct engine heat and at the least you are more likely to vapor lock. If, however the canister or it's connectors leak, even a little, the chance of a fuel fire become real. In the tank the cannister is protected by the tank from external damage, what crash protection is being used when mounted between the tupperwear and frame? The stock hoses are designed to take bending movements, not the filter. There's no firewall between the rider and the fire and you get the picture. There are other reasons not to change the filter location but this is enough to discourage me. Do as you please, I won't be riding your bike. smile.gif

I don't care if they don't say when it should be replaced, (I'll bet they do) sooner or later enough crud will be stopped by it to restrict flow.

Frank

You'll bet what? That they change the maintenance manual someday? They might but as it stands now the REPROM has NO filter replacement schedule regardless of the mileage.

Mick

Stan Walker

Looking at the parts list I don't even find a separate fuel filter....just a fuel pump assembly for $349.00. For that amount of money I could buy a whole bunch of "old" BMW filters, over 700,000 miles worth!!!!

Please tell me I'm wrong!!!

Stan

duckbubbles

I didn't see it on the RT or GS parts list. But on the ST parts list under fuel supply- there it is. I doubt that the RT abd GS have no filter, but none are shown. That is downright odd. Why would they do something so different when the basic motorcycle is so similar?

Frank

Jim VonBaden
Looking at the parts list I don't even find a separate fuel filter....just a fuel pump assembly for $349.00. For that amount of money I could buy a whole bunch of "old" BMW filters, over 700,000 miles worth!!!!

Please tell me I'm wrong!!!

Stan

The 12GS doesn't have a filter that is replaceable. Not sure how I feel about that right now.

The 12ST, however, has an easily replacable filter. Not sure about the 12RT, but I suspect it does have one as well, just because it is like the ST.

Personally I have no problem with the in-tank filter on the 1100/1150 series. You have to remove the tank for the annual brake flush anyhow, so may as well replace it then. I mean, you will have at least 24K on it every year, right? grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

Blue Beemer Dude
Personally I have no problem with the in-tank filter on the 1100/1150 series. You have to remove the tank for the annual brake flush anyhow, so may as well replace it then. I mean, you will have at least 24K on it every year, right? grin.gif

Righto Jim. No, wait, I never remove the fuel tank, I just perch it up on the right and bungee it to the handlbars so that it doesn't fall off. I'm a little intimidated by all those hoses (hell, if I can do an EVO brake bleed, why then am I intimidated by a couple of little gas lines? confused.gif) and I'm not sure how/where you guys get those quick disconnects that I keep reading about.

If the filter is in the tank, then why do you have to remove it (the tank) to replace the filter?

Now I'm really confused.

Michael

If the filter is in the tank, then why do you have to remove it (the tank) to replace the filter?

Now I'm really confused.

Michael

Because BMW in their wisdom put the access panel at the bottom of the tank. You have to drain off most of the fuel (or better, ride it off before you start), remove the tank and place it with the RH side uppermost to allow removal of the pump/filter/low fuel float assembly.

Andy

duckbubbles

I guess it's like evolution or refinement. The oilheads have that nice big access plate, but it's on the under side of the tank. The hexheads have a similar plate, but located on the outside. I am still amazed- The GS doesn't have a fuel filter except for the "sock" screen on the pump in the tank? And it's the world adventure tourer? I would think they'd put one on top of the tank with quick disconnects and a rack with spares right next to it for on the fly changing.

Frank

Archived