IGNORED

Re-Enlistment bonus!

ross96rt

19 days left and I get my re-enlistment bonus. My plan is to buy a K bike. I want to pay cash so I am looking at used K bikes 2000-2004's. Only problem is I can't decide between the K1200rs and the K1200GT?? Any reasons why one is better than the other. Only plus I see to the GT is a little better wind protection and maybe taller handlebars?

Any thoughts anyone?

duckbubbles

Hi, Ross-

And the GT has color matched bags, standard. Ohterwise, not many differences.

Frank

Hi Ross,

Congratulations (or condolences) on your re-enlistment! wink.gif

As you mention, the primary difference between the two is in the rider position. The RS offers a much more “aggressive”, forward sporting position (though still not a true sport bike position) while the GT gives more of the traditional upright “Touring” position. The difference in the RS will be quite noticeable for you coming from a RT, as it was for me coming from my R.

There are many accessories (foot peg lowering kits and Bar backs) available to bring the ergonomics of the RS more upright. Some will say this is blasphemy and you should ride the RS for a while and get used to its position. I did, but never did get used to it so I still ended up lowering the pegs and adding Bar Backs to mine. While still a slightly forward position (as compared to my R), I experience much less pressure on the handlebars and less strain in my neck. My advice would be to try both bikes to see what position suits you best.

If you look at the RS, also be aware of the change from the 2001 model year forward. Mostly minor cosmetic stuff, but notably added linked ABS brakes to the rear (depends if you like linked brakes or not - personally, I don't). Also, the RS had a notoriously uncomfortable factory seat. I ended up replacing mine with a Sargent.

No matter which way you go though, as long as you find one in good shape, you can’t go wrong with either one.

DR

Hi Ross,

Congratulations (or condolences) on your re-enlistment! wink.gif

There are many accessories (foot peg lowering kits and Bar backs) available to bring the ergonomics of the RS more upright.

I still ended up lowering the pegs and adding Bar Backs to mine.

While still a slightly forward position (as compared to my R), I experience much less pressure on the handlebars and less strain in my neck. My advice would be to try both bikes to see what position suits you best.

The re-enlistment will take me to 18 years. They won't offer me another bonus after 14 years so I went for the full 6 years and since I signed it in Iraq it is tax free! clap.gif

All of my long distance riding was done on an RT so after reading that you modified your RS to a more GT style position I might as well skip all of that and go for the GT.

I think I will ride both and then decide. I rode a friends K1200S for two hours the other day and I found it to be pretty comfortable. Could be that I was to busy smiling to notice the comfort factor though. That bike is amazing!

duckbubbles

Ross-

Just be damn careful as you can and GET back to enjoy whichever bike you want for a long time!!!

Frank

Ross,

The changes began with the 2002 model year.

Adjustable bars, pegs, turn signal incorporated into nose fairing.

The GT has an electric windscreen offering more options for settings. However I'm a big fan of small screens on the bike.

Some GT's came w/out all the options and didn't have the electric screen/cruise//heated seat, or some other options.

The additional hand covers of the GT can be added to an RS if you want to.

Personally I like the heated seat and adjustable screen.

You'll enjoy eithe one.

Chuck Hatcher
19 days left and I get my re-enlistment bonus. My plan is to buy a K bike.

My first reaction was that that's a hell of a steep price to pay for a new bike. Another way of looking at it is if you're going to re-enlist, you may as well get a new bike out of the deal!

I don't have any advice on which bike to buy, but your post sure brought back memories. In '84 I re-enlisted in the Navy and got a $16,000 bonus (ah, the Reagan years). Half up front and the rest in annual installments, but I did have to pay tax on mine. I bought a very low mileage Honda V65 Magna from a shipmate for $2500. A sweet bike and a big step up from my FT-500 Ascot. (This was back before my semi-enlightenment.) Sold it a couple of years later for the same price to another shipmate who was - you guessed it - re-enlisting.

... In '84 I re-enlisted in the Navy and got a $16,000 bonus...

$16K in '84! Were you a Nuke? On subs?

Derek

Chuck Hatcher
... In '84 I re-enlisted in the Navy and got a $16,000 bonus...

$16K in '84! Were you a Nuke? On subs?

Derek

Navigation ET on an FBM sub (sub was a nuke, in more ways than one, but I wasn't wink.gif). That bonus was just one small part of the big defense budget designed to bankrupt the Soviet Union, and maybe the USA as well.

Looking back I think I had a pretty cushy job compared to those in uniform today dodging bullets in the desert.

I discussed the re-enlistment with my wife and she asked me if I was planning on staying in anyway. I told her that I was and she said then you might as well get paid for it by taking the offer now. They offered $15K for 6 years. I took it.

I did my combat time leading soldiers in 2005. I figure if I go back again it will be as a Platoon Sgt or First SGT providing beans and bullets to the newest generation of first line leaders.

Leaning more and more towards the K1200RS. Call me silly but the GT only seems to be available (used) in that Orient blue or solid green? Whats up with the BLAH colors?

Leaning more and more towards the K1200RS. Call me silly but the GT only seems to be available (used) in that Orient blue or solid green? Whats up with the BLAH colors?

Most of the bikes that were imported for version 1.0 of the GT were those two colors. There is the occasional red one - I think Daytona BMW has one of those for sale used. Supposedly was a titan silver one for 06, but I never saw one. Too bad, too - that would have been a striking machine.

bigwilliejoe

I agree, if you gotta change all that stuff to enjoy the ride get the GT, I am....

6'1", 225 riding the "sport" bikes make me feel cramped.

Side note: Wish I would've re-enlisted. After the Storm I figured it was time to get a real job...ha. At 45 I'd give ten years to get back in...lazy, no discipline, whinny, give me mine first, screw the next guy civilians. bncry.gif

P.s. This doesn't include anyone who reads this or rides a BMW....ha.

crabby old sailor,

B.J.

Dennis Andress

In 1982 my re-enlistment bought a stero system. Considering I just recently parted with that system, I hope whatever bike you buy lasts as long as it did.

Take your time and shop around. Of all the farkles you will see on used bikes watch for an extended warranty and Ohlins shocks.

Oh, wave at all the Apaches for me - my nephew is driving one near Baghdad.

What the GT has that the RS does not:

* Electric Windshield

* Heated Seat

* Hand Guards

* Leg Guards

* Cruise Control

* Color matched side cases

* Barbacks that position you slightly more upright

I owned an RS for 6 years which I really loved. The heated seat is the only option on the GT that appeals to me. I don't care for the look of the leg protectors on the fairings and I am indifferent towards the other options. Which bike is best for you all depends on what you want/need in a bike.

19 days left and I get my re-enlistment bonus.

When I got back from Vietnam, I bought my first BMW, an R60/5. Didn't get any help from Uncle Sam though since I was a draftee and got out when I could (1 yr, 9 months, 21 days). The GI bill did buy me some education a few years later though.

If you can get to 20, that would be sweet. My stepdad did and never regretted that.

Now, a response, 2002 or better. I had a 2001 RS and while I loved the ride, I always wanted the cruise. I now have the GT with cruise and use it on the long trips. Love it!!!!

M

I discussed the re-enlistment with my wife and she asked me if I was planning on staying in anyway. I told her that I was and she said then you might as well get paid for it by taking the offer now. They offered $15K for 6 years. I took it.

I did my combat time leading soldiers in 2005. I figure if I go back again it will be as a Platoon Sgt or First SGT providing beans and bullets to the newest generation of first line leaders.

K12GT_Steve

I'm already retired from AD and am now on the gravy side. My GT has been the perfect ride. All of the heating requirements to make it three seasons available and I can strip the bags off when required to run with the big dogs. When you can make the K series work for you it is a great everything motorcycle.

Well I found one! 2003 K1200RS with the BMW tal windscreen, barbacks, lowered footpegs, soft topcase, BMW bagliners. 8900K miles.

My wife drove me down to Austin to pick it up and my Daughter snapped a few picks on the way home. I hope these links work.

Thanks for the input guys it helped me in my search!

http://itroopscout.tripod.com/kbike/index.album?i=0&s=1

http://itroopscout.tripod.com/kbike/index.album?i=1&s=1

http://itroopscout.tripod.com/kbike/index.album?i=2&s=1

Blue Beemer Dude
Well I found one! 2003 K1200RS with the BMW tal windscreen, barbacks, lowered footpegs, soft topcase, BMW bagliners. 8900K miles.

That's pretty high, almost 9 million miles!!!

Hmmmm...

Hope he does better leading the troops.

"OK boys, the enemy is just over that hill, no more than 50K of them. Now go!"

Have fun with the RS. I had one ('04) and I couldn't deal with the riding position, but it was a blast to ride!

Michael

"OK boys, the enemy is just over that hill, no more than 50K of them. Now go!"

Michael

Could be close to true if we get into it with N. Korea grin.gif

Thanks for busting my chops it keeps me humble.

Archived