IGNORED

First year with my RT

JayW

As my odometer turned over 12,000 miles this morning - exactly one year after taking delivery of my Piedmont red R1200RT - I found myself thinking back over the past 12 months with this bike. I rode all year, including a trip to the Smokies and another trip through 4 State parks in the South. I ride mostly for relaxation, but the bike is a blast on twisty roads, and some miles (such as on the track) were downright exhilirating. Thank the Lord that there were only one or two moments of controlled panic over the year as I avoided distracted or inattentive drivers.

Mechanical problems? - one burned out signal bulb. There was a brief time after washing the bike when the high beam kept flashing on at random. I had it checked at the dealer and they promised to replace the switch if it happens again. It has not. The engine consumes an ounce or 2 of oil per 1000 miles, and I just installed the third set of tires.

I have kept the bike mostly stock, though I did have the exhaust coated at Performance Coatings.com to get rid of the blue/brown pipes. This has held up very well. I bought a Nav II as well which I has introduced me to many new roads.

The bike fell over once in a gravelly campsite. The damage was not that noticeable, but the right mirror housing, signal lens, cylinder head guard, and hard case all sustained light scratches. I was bummed and decided to fix everything. I ordered parts from Max BMW in NH, which was easy thanks to their schematics available online. Installing the new parts was easy. The left hard case also had some scratches from just sticking out vulnerably, so I had both cases repainted. I then installed the available case guards from BMW and changed my reflectors to the BMW emblems. Now the bike looks brand new again.

I know that 12,000 miles in a year is small potatoes to many on this forum, but it is a record for me. With my previous Hondas, I usually felt ready to get off at the end of my rides. With this machine, a part of me always hates to see a ride end, and I often find reasons to delay arriving at my destination if time allows.

I am a better rider than I was a year ago, but am still not happy with my confidence at ultra low speeds -especially with the back end loaded up for travel or a with a pillion on board. Part of this is undoubtedly due to my 30 inch inseam, but I hope to improve on this aspect of my riding in the coming year.

The bike is not perfect, as has been discussed. However, BMW did an overall great job designing this bike, and I would have to have another one just like it right away if mine disappeared tonight. The advice I found on this forum was invaluable in my purchasing decision, and the riding experience continues to be much more rewarding, interesting and safer thanks to you all.

Much obliged! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Jay

Rich06FJR1300

just noticing your tire comment...so you had 2 sets last an average of 6,000 miles. Which ones are you using? the Z-6 metzeler? i guess that's an average lifespan?

I've had my R1200RT 6 months and have done 28,000 klms. The only problems have been a blown low beam globe and a sticking screen switch. The switch has been fixed under warranty. Almost no oil use. The bike was run in by flogging the guts out of it within the rev guidelines. On the third set of tyres, Metzler Z6 10,000 klms, weird wear on the front gave a swooping type of action on sweepers. The Metzlers had about 2-3,000 klms left in them but I was'nt confident in them. Pirelli Dragons next, good grip but only 8,000 klms with the same weird wear on the front and the swooping starting to happen. Metzler 880 on now, 10,000 klms with nowhere near the same weird wear happening but not as grippy. The weird wear is a scalloping mostly on the right of the centre of the tyre and a distinct shoulder which is caused from riding on mainly straight country roads. The swooping on sweepers I think is caused by the bike trying to settle on either side of the shoulder. The swooping is very speed dependent, speeding up and leaning the bike over further or slowing down and standing the bike up stops it.

Overall the bike is magic, fits me perfectly and aint that cruise control the ducks guts.

Dave Glen. Victoria, Australia

Nice report Jay. I am hopeful my 06 RT will prove as reliable as your machine. I think you found the exact right bike for your style of riding. Good luck in your future travels.

One question, Dave. I can't find a fitment for my RT with the Metzler 880. You have the correct 880 sizes down-under?

The bike came with the Dunlop 220s, which only lasted about 4000 miles front and rear. They could have been nursed along for maybe another thousand, but I didn't like them much, and changed to Michelin Pilot Powers for a day at the track. The rear Michelin lasted about 4500 miles, and I got about 7500 out of the front one. These were very good tires on the track but I know my day there shortened the tread life, because bits and small pieces of the tread were spread all over my rims afterwards. I am trying Metzler Z6s now, and so far am impressed, though they are not as sticky as the Michelins. I may try the Pirelli Strada next, which have harder rubber in the center, and are softer at the sides.

So far, any fuel I may save by commuting on this bike has been more than consumed by tires. I'll keep riding to work once or twice weekly for the fun of it though.

My exhaust coating has held up extremely well. I think it looks a whole lot better then the "chrome exhaust" I paid for that got blue/brown within 10 miles of riding the bike off the dealers lot. I got the coated pipes back in less than 10 days, and the cost was $104. Installation was fairly straightforward.

I'll post pictures if anyone is interested.

Jay

Mudman, the Metzler Marathon 880 front tyre is 120/70 and the rear is 170/60 slightly narrower than standard. Most of my riding is on straight flat very coarse bitumen with only long sweepers to break the monotony. The 880's are lasting better than the Z6's and Pirelli Dragons but are definitely less sticky and I have had to change my riding style to suit particularly when the tyres are cold.

Dave Glen, Victoria, Australia

Thanks for the report. I have considered these for long rides, but was unsure if the different size would introduce any problems. It looks like it is working good for you. thumbsup.gif

How about picture of the ceramic coated pipes on your RT.

These really bother me and would I like to see a set before buying.

How about picture of the ceramic coated pipes on your RT.

These really bother me and would I like to see a set before buying.

OK, here is a picture (see attachment).

Jay

709738-DSCN19600001.JPG.9826142ee7f808fb61684ea4f8e1d740.JPG

Jay, Thanks for the picture - looks very nice.

Where did you have your pipes coated? what should I look for in selecting a vendor/process? Did you coat only the headers out of the exhaust or did you include connecting pipe between the two exhausts? the muffler? What do you suppose the longevity will be?

Hector

Hector:

I had it done by mail at PerformanceCoatings.com based upon some good recommendations. I took off the exhaust from the cylinders back to the connection in front of the muffler and send that in all as one piece. They coated the whole thing except for the threads where the oxygen sensors screw in. The above picture was taken after a few hundred miles of use, and they look about the same some 9000 miles later. With close inspection it looks like the forward pipes may have gotten slightly duller over time, but some of this could be from road debris and water that the area (especially the cross pipe) is exposed to. They are still a huge improvement over the stock appearance. They warn not to clean them with anything alkaline, such as those purple cleaners.

Jay

Archived