IGNORED

Wilbers on my ST

duckbubbles

duckbubbles

Hi, everybody:

Received my new high Zoot Wilbers yesterday. The full deal, high and low speed compression damping, spring preload, ride height adjustment, all the bells and whistles. Put them on today. Not near as much of a job as I had anticipated.

The front was a non-issue after removing the tank and alternator belt cover. Two electrical connectors, two quick disconnect fuel lines, two vent tubes and two bolts and the tank comes off. Make sure you are low on gas. Five screws takes the belt cover off.

On the rear I removed the muffler, rear wheel and inner fender.

I noticed that the shocks were just ever so slightly longer than the stockers. I ordered the standard length because I am not vertically challenged. I noticed that when putting it back on the wheels and on the centerstand, the ground clearance that I had was almost gone. The rear still turns, it has a quarter inch of clearance, maybe less. This pretty much eliminates lengthening the shock to quicken steering, and be able to use the centerstand. I have a few threads left to shorten it some. This isn't so good as I park it on the centerstand a lot and always when it is put up.

This also affects doing maintenance like wheel removal. I guess I need to have a square of thin plywood for that.

Does anybody have similar experiences? The shocks look great and I think they will work great, also. This was a leap of faith for me as my two other bikes have Ohlins! I also picked a rotten time to send my seat out for reshaping and recovering. It won't be done for a few weeks! AAARGH! I went so far as putting the Ducati's seat on the ST "just to see" and it would work for a unstable ride, but the rubber bumpers contact the bodywork and I won't do that.

Frank

Firefight911

As my pulse quickens while I await the arrival of my, also fully optioned, Wilbers . . . .

Can't wait to get mine. Last word had mine as arriving anytime. Probably the beginning of next week!

Looking forward to the change! Bummer on teh ride tale after the swap out. Mine may be the same as I am planning on getting the header ceramic coated at the same time. ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

NakedRider

Duck,

I had the same experience with the ground clearance with my ST. The back tire and the front tire are both on the ground when the bike is on the centerstand.

The ride, however, is well worth the extra expense of the Wilbers. I just rode mine down to Big Bear, San Diego, Anaheim and back up to Nor Cal during a one week vacation. I'd say this bike has my favorite freeway ride ever - for any bike that I've owned. Fully loaded I just turned up the pre-load 1 1/2 turns and it was as tho there was no luggage on the bike. Even on the mountain going to Big Bear Lake. I couldn't believe how well it handled.

Good luck with your Wilbers. My bet is you'll be more than happy. Don't be afraid to mess with them. Little changes make a big difference.

duckbubbles

Hi, Nekkid-

I don't doubt that the new shocks will be a huge improvement over stock. At less than 12,000 miles I could feel that the stockers were giving up some. Especially the rear. I could shorten the rear a little to get the centerstand clearance raised some. My concern is that there isn't much clearance to play with in extending the shock, and I didn't really consider that when I ordered them. Not the end of the world by any means.

I like the fit, look and finish of the Wilbers. Like I said, this was a leap of faith since I hadn't heard of Wilbers until about six months ago and my other two bikes wear Ohlins. With my seat gone, it will be several weeks before I can ride it. I may just do something like throw a pillow on it and go for a short ride!!!

Frank

R4ND0M_AX3

Does the bike sit higher than stock when it's supporting it's own weight? How different is the height with you sitting on it.

I'm wondering if the Wilbers just have more suspension travel (good) or if the travel is the same as stock only sitting higher (not sure if bad).

duckbubbles

Hi, Dan-

Yes, the bike sits slilghtly higher than stock, maybe 1/4 inch. I ordered the standard length and comparing them with stock, they were very slightly longer (1/8 inch?). The rear has ride height adjustment and I can shorten it to equal the stocker. The springs are set up for rider weight and riding style and are a higher rate than stock in my case.

Don't let any of this dissuade you from the Wilbers. They are also available in shorter than stock for those that want them. The finish and fit are as good as a comparable Ohlins, which have been the gold standard for a couple of decades.

Frank

duckbubbles

Dan-

I just spent 10 minutes out in the garage and turned the ride height adjustment all the way short, about 6 turns from where it came. It appears to be the same as stock. The rear tire is almost an inch off the ground on the centerstand now.

The position of the shock in relation to the rear wheel means that a small change in the length of the shock makes a much greater change at the rear wheel. A quarter inch of shock length difference may make more than an inch difference at the wheel.

Frank

duckbubbles

This is a note about a small a change I made during the installation of the shocks that may be useful to you, Phil, and to anybody else yet to do it.

The shock kit comes with two worm type clamps to attach the nitrogen cylinder to the frame. I put a double layer of 1/4 inch heat shrink tubing over the clamps except for the last two inches to help prevent scratching the frame and cylinder. Otherwise done as recommended.

You will need an E-10 torx socket in addition to the range or torx bits to complete the job. The stock spring preload knob is held in place with the E-10 and must be removed and reused to mount the Wilbers adjuster. A good torque wrench, some low strength loctite and you will be smiling greatly.

"Checken it air intake and air cleaner on free artificial respiration of the patient" (From the German instructions [translated, no doubt] for a performance eprom for my K-bike)

Frank

Archived