IGNORED

Televar ?

bgunn

I have 86,000 miles on my 01 R 1100 RT, and my front end keeps bottoming out. Is it possible that the front shock is worn out already? Thanks confused.gif

Jim VonBaden

Since most shocks on oilheads wear out before 50,000 miles, your's is certainly gone by now.

Jim cool.gif

I'll agree with everyone else but go further to say that 50,000 miles is a good life for a shock absorber whether on car or motorcycle.

You must remember that shock absorbers are not an accessory but a vital control mechanism for the suspension system. They must be viewed as a service item that should be replaced as soon as necessary.

Rich06FJR1300

86,000??? wow, my rear one started leaking when the bike had 37k on it! I'm replacing the front as i know its going to go next.

I have 86,000 miles on my 01 R 1100 RT, and my front end keeps bottoming out. Is it possible that the front shock is worn out already? Thanks confused.gif

If your frontend is really "bottoming out", you have a spring problem, not a shock problem. The shock's primary purpose is to prevent excessive rebounding after a bump. It has very little compression damping that would help the spring prevent "bottoming".

After 86K miles, you almost certainly need a new shock however, no matter what else may be wrong.

The shock's primary purpose is to prevent excessive rebounding after a bump. It has very little compression damping that would help the spring prevent "bottoming".
A shock absorber's compression damping significantly reduces the suspension's tendency to bottom on a hard bump. If the springs alone were stiff enough to prevent this you wouldn't have a very comfortable ride.
Joe Frickin' Friday

86,000 MILES? eek.gif

Ever seen Uncle Buck? Remember his car? crazy.gif

If your frontend is really "bottoming out", you have a spring problem, not a shock problem.

This could also be true but a good spring with a complete lack of damping can cause excessive bounce and induce bottoming.

Jim VonBaden
How about the rear?????

Is it the original as well with 86,000 eek.gif

The rear usually goes first, so yes, it is certainly bad as well.

Jim cool.gif

This could also be true but a good spring with a complete lack of damping can cause excessive bounce and induce bottoming.

The OP did not mention any "bounce" at all.

Archived