IGNORED

headlight modulator....very dissapointed.

KER

finally recieved my Kisan headlight modulator and installed it. Needless to say, im very dissapointed in it. It doesnt seem to light up the high beam worth a darm when is flashing. i thought it would be much brighter that it is, closer to full power when its working. Not sure what to do, leave it installed or take it out. Any one else think theirs is under powered on their 1150RT?

That is intentional. The unit cycles between 20% and 80% brightness by design. Going brighter would probably greatly increase the annoyance factor while adding little or no additional visibility. If you look on-axis into the headlight (as most oncoming vehicles do) you will see that it is plenty bright as is.

thats what i figured but it doesnt seem to be any brighter than the headlight itself, seems be at 50% power.

seems be at 50% power.
That kinda makes sense... if the unit is cycling between 20% and 80% then the perceived brightness would probably be right in the middle. But the idea behind a modulated headlight doesn't depend so much on brightness to achieve visability as the modulation itself. Give it a try, I think you'll find it very effective and I'll even bet that you won't want it any brighter than it is. Believe me, with a modulated headlight on an RT-P they're going to be moving out of your way right and left... grin.gif

The Kisan modulator (and all conforming modulators) must spend at least 50% of the time on full power (not 80% brightness).

So, I believe that the Kisan ramps from 20% to 100% with most of the time at 100% brightness.

From the statute:

b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.

I won't argue with the staute but that's what I remember Kisan teliing me, though 'twas many years ago. Regardless, whatever the maximum output might be the cycling between that and low output results in a perception of the headlight beaing considerably dimmer than a standard high beam, that was my only point.

Yes, it's obviously dimmer than if it was on full power 100% of the time. However, it's usually hooked up to the hi-beams, not low beams, so that should be brighter than normal riding with lowbeams.

Is it possible that it is affecting the lowbeam instead of the highbeam? On my bike, the R1200C, there's only one connection. I don't know if there was a possible wrong wiring choice on his installation.

It's also not impossible that the modulator is not functioning properly. In any case, it's worth a call to Kisan to ask about it. Their tech support is first rate.

Good decision on leaving it installed. While even some bike riders don't like 'em, I believe that they draw attention and wake up some of these idiots on the road. The latest news article shows a recent study found folks using cell phones were just about as bad as drunk drivers. I have a signal dynamics modulator on my 1200 sportster and it has a nighttime safety feature (which I found out a few years ago, is now technically illegal- they forced the company to discontinue it) whereas if you think someone at night is going to pull out in front of you from a side street- you can hit the horn and it "strobes" the headlight for several seconds. It has saved my bacon a few times driving in congested SW Florida.

Jerry_75_Guy

Don't judge it's effectiveness/performance too quickly; wait a few hundred miles and try to watch the behavior of the drivers around you.

If you notice more folks moving out of your way in the left lane and people clearly 'starting to roll but thinking twice' instead of pulling out from a cross street, then you'll know it's doing it's job; if not, take it out and return it.

I don't know how 'irritating' it is to other drivers, but drivers around me definately notice me more; the key is to assume that none of them can see you at all regardless of how well 'lit' your bike is.

Take Jerry's advice, you will find this function to be a significant safety factor. While you may find contrary opinions ask them if they have ever used one and I suspect they will answer in the negative. Almost every time I ride I notice behavior that proves the benefits from having a modulator.

Couchrocket

And, also don't judge it from "right in front of your bike." Get 50' or so out in front of it and take a look.

Also, also, it is the pulsing, not the absolute brightness that catches the cagers eyes.

Good decision. The fact that some riders don't like them because they can irritate a clueless cage driver crackes me up. That's like saying that rogue elephant repellant sucks because it keeps the rogue elephants away, but upsets their delicate feelings in the process. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Note my Avatar... not bright at all, but sure gets attention! Even David's, anecdotally speaking of course. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Had trouble with the Kissan on Kathy's 1150......Just to make sure, double check your ground and make sure it is solid and to the frame if possible....Somebody on this site pointed out recently that many electrical problems were with inadequate grounding.....

Kathy's works OK now..It's very noticable when on.....

Phil.......Redbrick

Note my Avatar... not bright at all, but sure gets attention!

Actually its the waving hair that gets my attention on your avatar grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I didn't know until reading your post that the horn/flash option had been removed from the Signal Dynamics device. I use that function all the time, as it not only works at night but also during the day when the oscillator is not on.

It has another function (called NOVA, I think) that I always wondered about from a legal standpoint. The nova mode oscillates the low beam as well as the high beam at the same time. Talk about getting someones attention! I've only used it once or twice when I was at the end of a line of cars stuck behind a slow guy. It looks very "cop like" and people will move over quickly.

The nova function I can do without, but I do like the horn/flash option. I guess that means I'll have to keep the module if I ever sell the bike....

Blue Beemer Dude

I agree that the perception of the modulated light is less than 100%, but it does seem to work well, and I'm happy with mine. I turn it off (low beams only) on interstates and such to avoid unecessarily annoying the cagers.

I have also had several occasions when I'm behind folks with the modulator on and they pull over onto the shoulder. I laugh thinking how much of that you'll get on the RT-P.

Michael

I turn it off (low beams only) on interstates and such to avoid unecessarily annoying the cagers.

I have also had several occasions when I'm behind folks with the modulator on and they pull over onto the shoulder. I laugh thinking how much of that you'll get on the RT-P.

Michael

Ditto here. I turn it off on the slab and mostly use it in cross traffic areas. When the PIAA 1100x's are on with the modulator, it makes for a really visible bike.

As far as annoying cagers, I would rather annoy them than have them pull out in front of me crazy.gif

Couchrocket

Actually its the waving hair that gets my attention on your avatar

hi-jack /

Yeah, ain't it great? That's my homage to the fact that it is "still up there to wave" at 59! thumbsup.gif It's pretty much gray now, but I made a deal with it some time back. It can be any color it wants as long as it stays up there.

OP - Re-read what Phil is saying. What ground you are using can effect the Kisan's performance. Although I would suggest using the brown headlight bulb's ground wire, rather than the frame.

Quote:

"Re-read what Phil is saying. What ground you are using can effect the Kisan's performance. Although I would suggest using the brown headlight bulb's ground wire, rather than the frame."

Right Ken....Your post jogged my memory...I did rescure the ground to the brown wire, not the frame...

Thanks.....

Phil......Redbrick

GreggBates
I agree that the perception of the modulated light is less than 100%, but it does seem to work well, and I'm happy with mine. I turn it off (low beams only) on interstates and such to avoid unecessarily annoying the cagers.

Michael

I'll go with that! I had the Kissan units front and rear on my 94 R11RS "Battle of the Legends" which was pearl white. I know some cage drivers jumped over out of my way when I came up behind them. I'm sure you will multiply that on an RTP. I did have one driver at a red light ask why I was flashing my headlight at him.

Best,

Gregg

Archived