IGNORED

Peculiar Autocomm question

mikeR1100R

mikeR1100R

I recently purchased 2 Active-Plus Autocomm systems. I wired them into each bike's electrical system according to the instructions and bought the interface powered leads for the Kenwood Freetalk radios, part # 102P. My problem is that when the interface leads are hooked up, one can only transmit for 2 or 3 seconds before the low voltage indicator illuminates on the radio, a continuous tone is emitted and transmission is cut off. This happens with both systems on both bikes. One bike is a Honda Shadow 750, the other is a BMW R1100R. When I put the batteries that came with the radios back in but leave the gray 5-pin connectors attached, both systems work great. Does anyone have any ideas as to the problem and or a solution? I know that Tom, the fellow who owns or runs Autocomm, checks in with the board once in a while. I tried going back to the dealer from whom I bought the systems, but no luck so far. My feeling is that these interface cables are defective, since I get the same symptoms with identical systems on 2 completely different bikes. Any thoughts, advice or a solution would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike.

90RedRider

I probably know as little as anyone on this board about things electric,BUT if they work with batteries in why not just do that.

I went to the AutoComm dealer today but it was closed. I'm headed back there next week so I'll pose your question to the techs there and see if I can get some help. I'm real anxious to hear your feedback on the system because I'm debating on buying the high end AutoCom, or buying the BMW communications system for my '05 RT. I'll get back to you.

CruisinCruzan

I thought that only the SuperProAVi could power the FreeTalk XL. I have it and it works great with the Autocom power lead. For me I didn't want to deal with a charger on long trips.

I thought that only the SuperProAVi could power the FreeTalk XL. I have it and it works great with the Autocom power lead. For me I didn't want to deal with a charger on long trips.

The new 2006 Autocoms are still pretty new, even to those of us who sell them through our dealerships. Therefore, I can't say with certainty since I'm answering this from home, without the latest Autocom info in front of me. However, I do recall reading something that tells me you may be correct. It is likely that ONLY the SuperProAVi unit is set up to power the Kenwood through the 102P interface.

Hi ALL

Yes both Fernando and Stephen are correct, ONLY the Pro systems have built in power supplies that can also power recommended transceivers. Actives have built in power supplies only for themselves and so with Actives the transceiver must be either be battery powered or alternatively used with a bike power supply which in some cases may also require an isolation interface lead between the Active and transceiver?

The clue is in the Pro systems metal lid which acts as a heat sink for the larger power regulator, which the Actives do not have.

Hope that helps

Autocom-UK-TOM

mikeR1100R

Thanks so much for the information. To answer the question about why not just use the batteries that came with the radios, my wife's battery died about halfway through a ride this past weekend. I figured if I could power the radios with the bikes, I wouldn't have to worry about dead radio batteries. Tom, thanks so much for your input. I assume I am justified in returning these interface cables. They are $100 apiece. We will just carry the chargers for overnight trips; minor inconvenience, no big deal.

Again, I am awed by the knowledge and resources of this board. I don't think it is possible to place a value on it .

Thanks again,

Mike.

Archived