IGNORED

Oil Filter R 1200 RT

Beanner

Anyone know if the older oil filters from the r1150 or r1100 will fit on the r1200rt. I think the new one is darn tiny and would like to use a large cap filter. or any after market filters that work with great capacity?

I agree the new one seems small but I wouldn't consider another type, brand, or size. I trust the enginners on this, the Hex head series have proven very reliable so I don't think the oil filter is a concern. Why take a chance with a $20K over a couple of bucks on a proper filter. There are too many variables like flowrate, filter size (5,8, 10 micron, I don't know what the OEM is) and by pass valve settings. These specs are not readily known on the OEM or alternative filters. Seems a a high risk for a small gain if you are after saving money. If you are concerned about the capacity consider the BMW designers are satisfied and if there was an issue there would have been no additional cost in the design process to specify the larger filter. One concern I would have in using a larger filter is the reduced ground clearance and increased vulerability to something kicked up by the front tire. Just a thought.

I'm not talking about 5 inches of filter hanging down or anything like that just wondered if the filter for say the R1150RT would work. I change the oil about 2.5k mile and filer everyother oil change. Talked to the dealer the other day and he "suggested" oil change and filter at 3k miles. I not cheap, just beleive that a larger filter would be better in my case. I'm sure the oil would circulate around just fine with a filter 1-1/4 inches deeper. Trust the BMW designers that brought me non-floating front brakes.... jury still out. maybe I'll just stick with the tiny filter for now and change it every 3K.

I'm not talking about 5 inches of filter hanging down or anything like that just wondered if the filter for say the R1150RT would work. I change the oil about 2.5k mile and filer everyother oil change. Talked to the dealer the other day and he "suggested" oil change and filter at 3k miles. I not cheap, just beleive that a larger filter would be better in my case. I'm sure the oil would circulate around just fine with a filter 1-1/4 inches deeper. Trust the BMW designers that brought me non-floating front brakes.... jury still out. maybe I'll just stick with the tiny filter for now and change it every 3K.

Why do you not just trust the BMW design team and change the specified filter at the specified 6000 mile intervals? They get paid a lot of money to be good at this kind of thing.

I have never understood this 'change oil every 3K miles' thing that you Americans seem to have. confused.gif It is, in my opinion, just a waste of money and resources.

Andy

Do what gives you better confidence. I just tried to show another side of the change. BTW I plan to change at 6000 miles as precribed by the manufacturer. I don't commute or subject the machine to hard conditions like stop and go so that is my confidence level. This is the same thing I did with my 96 RT and all was well when I sold it a couple of months ago.

Everybody will have different opinions and are untimately responsible for their choices. My observation is those who stay stock and follow correct maintenance procedures tend to have fewer problems down the road. This is not a BMW thing, it has applied to every bike I have owned.

Anyone know if the older oil filters from the r1150 or r1100 will fit on the r1200rt.
If something goes wrong with the motor and you do not have an approved filter installed - no warranty. That being said, it's your bike, not mine.
duckbubbles

Hey Beanner, I'm thinking of going in the opposite direction- using the new design short filter on my old K. It will fit. They must have decided that these engines don't need the filter area with normal oil changes.

If you want a lot of filtering, why not put a remote oil filter setup on it and go with half a dozen filters in series?

Frank

gettysburg
I have never understood this 'change oil every 3K miles' thing that you Americans seem to have. confused.gif It is, in my opinion, just a waste of money and resources.

You can thank "Jiffy Lube" for that (A national chain of car-service shops). They advertise a lot on TV and radio, insisting that oil be changed every 3,000mi. or every 3 months.

duckbubbles

I agree with gettysburg. Even though the auto and bike manufacturers recommend longer oil change intervals, the "common wisdom" (?) is to change it that often. It seems that all the development done in lubrication technology in the last 30+ years falls on deaf ears.

For my own purposes, I change oil every 5000 miles in everything I have. It's easy to keep track of and long enough to get good use out of the oil.

Frank

i change the filter at 5000 miles also. but after 3000 miles in day to day traffic in florida heat i see what the oil looks and smells like so i change at 2.5k to 3k and filter at 5k.

"I have never understood this 'change oil every 3K miles' thing that you Americans seem to have. It is, in my opinion, just a waste of money and resources."

not in my mind as i am rich, fat, and have more money than brains and beleive that use of the worlds oil is a god give right of all americans. and my climate is hotter than the UK or most of euro for that matter and after all it is an air/oil cooled engine.

not in my mind as i am rich, fat, and have more money than brains and beleive that use of the worlds oil is a god give right of all americans. and my climate is hotter than the UK or most of euro for that matter and after all it is an air/oil cooled engine.

Hmmm, just as we thought.

duckbubbles
not in my mind as i am rich, fat, and have more money than brains and beleive that use of the worlds oil is a god give right of all americans.

I'm still chuckling over that one!

Frank

gettysburg
not in my mind as i am rich, fat, and have more money than brains and beleive that use of the worlds oil is a god give right of all americans.

If he doesn't watch it, Al Gore is going to run over him with his Toyota Prius.

cranezilla

The reason the oil filter is short is so that it stays within the confines of the bike, does not hang out unprotected.

With the Wunderlich crash bars installed, the longer filter is protected.

Both filters have the same internal construction, pressure valves filter media size etc, the only difference is the physical length.

Archived