IGNORED

BMW Tank Bag

Lawman

Just got my BMW tank bag..Man is this thing big! I can sell one of my detachable side cases now.. wave.gif

First thing I noticed as I prepared for the installation was that it comes with a 37 page Owner's Manual..That's great as I'm usually needing lots of help when installing stuff..Problem is although it is printed in no less than 8 languages it's none that I know..Heck, I just barely know enough English to be able to eat out....Thankfully I was eventually able to figure out that it snaps on that rack on my gas tank... clap.gif I'm feeling pretty smart by now so I decide to celebrate by eating the little bag of silica gel they were nice enough to include that was shipped inside the bag but just as I opened it up I noticed that it read in English, SILICA GEL, THROW AWAY, "DO NOT EAT". Now I'm wondering why would they send it to me and then tell me not to eat it and why is it written in English? I wonder if they think us Americans are dumb... confused.gifconfused.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I'm thinking about getting that BMW tank bag for my R12RT and everyone has commented on the size. Can it be squished down or anything?

I've got some "free" money showing up and this tank bag would take care of that bit of cash quite nicely.

AD

I've got one , and just did a 6,000+ mi trip to Utah and Colorado and back. I like it, especially the ease with which it can be removed for fuel stops. I also appreciate the size. I thought one big compartment would be a bit of a pain, but I never thought about it on my trip, as everything I carry in it I always put in the same place. I'd buy it again if I were to do it over again.

Am satisfied with mine with a couple of small whines. When standing on the pegs, the back of the bag hits me in a "delicate" area so I can't fully stretch. During midday, the glare off the map cover comes under my faceshield.

I use it on my short/day rides. I decided against taking it on the trip to AZ/UT/CO as I didn't need the space and knew I would want to stretch.

Like others, I like the room, it doesn't need a rain cover, and goes on/off very easy.

I wish BMW made a smaller version.

Ride safe. Bill

Well, I bit the bullet and got the BMW tank bag for my R12RT. Never used a tank bag before but I had some trips coming up across the state and figured now would be a good time to give it a try.

Yep, it's just what I needed. Holds the miscellaneous crap that one needs for tolls and the like and allows me to take the gun out of my pocket and put it in a much more convienient area. Also hold some water, snacks and notes. I especially like the easy on/easy off snap in connection.

Ran it in the rain last night across the Everglades and it all stayed nice and dry.

Yes, it's pricey, but I needed it yesterday and bought it on the fly!

Looks ugly (to me) but works great. They tell me I'll get used to the look.

AD

St0nkingByte

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the BMW tank bag. Might use it for my daily commute and leave the side cases at home for a while. Now I just need to get my buddy I sold my last bike to to pay me that last $700 he owes me!

I have the tank bag as well for my R1200RT. I put a 2 litre water bag inside fill it with Gator Aid and then run the hose with the bite and suck end out of the bag. As I drive along all I have to do to get a drink is to suck on the hose and when I am done just shove it back into the bag leaving the end hang out a few inches. Now if I could just get the reverse system hooked up to drain all that liquid I would only have to stop for gas. clap.gif

durango

creekstone

Durango, welcome to the board! wave.gif

A Goldwing rider (I forget his name) that competes in endurance events has a special arrangement to avoid 'potty' breaks. I wouldn't want to ride behind him! eek.gif

Mine's worked out fine as far as size goes. Worked real well as our overnight bag on our most recent trip (great for popping off at the hotel and carrying up to the room. My one gripe is I really think they could have included a small zipper pouch on the back for things like change for tolls. Other than that it worked out fine.

St0nkingByte

I just picked up the BMW bag today too. Really nice, crazy expensive but the snap on/off the rail thing is just too cool. I'm surprised I can still see my GPS, just barely, over the bag.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so the expensive BMW tank bag has more uses that I had first thought.

Seems it will hold a basketball (or soccer ball for the Euros) and it does it with ease!!

This makes heading off for a quick "workout" a little easier now.

Now I'll have a choice of a sunset ride to the diner or a sunset ride to shoot some hoops.

AD

My one gripe is I really think they could have included a small zipper pouch on the back for things like change for tolls. Other than that it worked out fine.

I agree, a small pocket or two would be nice.

I love the ease of putting it on and taking it off.

I just did an eleven thousand mile trip and I did NOT have the BMW tank bag. I rigged up a ten dollar Walmart back pack and I liked having it there. I do want to move up to a real tank bag but I wonder if the bar-back-risers I have will make the horn button depress when I make a sharp left turn. The "tank-bag" I rigged up did that at most inopertune times. Anyone have the BMW large tank bag with the bar-back-risers installed?

TIA

Hi there

I have bar risers that raise the bar by 1" and also bring them back by 1" too. I have absolutely no problems with any of the handlebar/horn buttons when I use my BMW tank bag. I hummed and haaad for ages before buy the bag because of its cost but am really glad I have it now, as it is capacious, expandable by opening the zippers and is so easy to fit and remove. If I could wish a few things it would be that it could be locked onto the bike somehow, and also that it had an external pocket. I have overcome the latter by fitting a Touratech handlebar bag ( designed for the R12RT). Dont know if they are available in USA or how much they are but I got mine for £13 from Nippy Normans here in the UK. Oh, and if you do get the BMW bag take off the little rubber feet on the base of the bag and re-glue them securely. They seem to be stuck on with chocolate glue or spit at the factory and I lost two on my very first trip!!!

I'm feeling pretty smart by now so I decide to celebrate by eating the little bag of silica gel they were nice enough to include that was shipped inside the bag but just as I opened it up I noticed that it read in English, SILICA GEL, THROW AWAY, "DO NOT EAT".

Just for laughs, I once emptied a Silica-Gel packet into a cup and water. It crackle and popped for a good 5 minutes. If you decide to try this yourself, you should wear saftey glasses. A few of the pellets shot into the air.

Jerry Johnston
the bag but just as I opened it up I noticed that it read in English, SILICA GEL, THROW AWAY, "DO NOT EAT". Now I'm wondering why would they send it to me and then tell me not to eat it and why is it written in English? I wonder if they think us Americans are dumb... confused.gifconfused.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

No but we seem to be 'sue happy' so it must be for the lawyers benifit. bncry.gif

I'm 50/50 on the BMW bag. The hard frame can be a pain, but the way it comes off makes gassing up easy. Much better than taking off clips on the tank bag for my old bike.

One gripe which I had with my last bag is the map sleeve. It needs to be bigger and not so tacky. My solution is to put a plastic binder sleeve (bent 1 or 2 inches) and print maps with a big margin. I really want a tank bag with enough room to slide an 8.5x11 page into it. Maybe even a way todo landscape?

• 1 month later...
Has anyone purchase and used the Marsee tank bag for the R12ooRT?

Ditto. and if so, which one? did you use the magnetic gas cap thing-a-ma-bob? I can't seem to find any in stock.

I was forced ( grin.gif ) into purchasing a Marsee when I ended up riding home alone from Americade.. needed to have some place to hold a map. Here's my setup..

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Marsee 19 Ltr, strap mount

Powerlet electrification kit (did the surgery myself)

Everyready maplight

Griffin iFM FM radio and iPOD controller ( headset jack dangles )

Pic of my family to keep me acting responsibly thumbsup.gif

Great bag. Only complaint is the oval map pocket with the watertight zip on the back. Would have preferred a rectangular pocket with velcro so you could flip it.

sb955i

I have the same setup with the Marsee bag. I ran the electrical to the upper right portion of the bag vs. the lower left as you have done. So far mine works quite well. It will definitely get a workout tomorrow as the wife and I leave for Torrey. For those of you looking for a tank bag you may want to investigate this option for a tank bag. www.axio-usa.com. It looks to be pretty versatile and the cost is reasonable.

Probably a wise move putting the power into the front of the bag.. saves a bit of effort when lifting the bag for fillups. As mine is now, I need to disconnect it every time I flip the bag. Could be quite a show at the gas station if the plug arcs... how long does that plug stay active after the ignition is turned off, again ?? Dho! eek.gif

Last week I used my bag really for the first time on a 4 day 1100 mile loop to Yosemite, Sequoia Nat. Park, and Kernville which is at the southern end of the Sierra's. I never even powered it up so unplugging the bag for gas was never an issue. Right now the electric lead is taped to the throttle cable. May just have to power it up to see if it is working correctly on the way to Torrey tomorrow.

• 9 months later...
NYC_Drifter

I was reluctant because of the cost ($300+), but I bought the BMW tank bag for a tour to GP in July. It is big; it needs small pockets and a key holder etc. It mounts well - best feature. Anyone figure out a way to lock it to the bike?

To help organize the interior of the BMW tank bag, go to the Container Store. They sell plastic drawer organizers. I purchased two 9 1/2" X 3 1/8" black trays (placed in the rear of the bag) and one 6 1/2" X 3 1/8" black tray (placed in the front of the bag) that perfectly line the bottom of the tank bag. You can fit all kinds of knick knacks in these three trays. I also bought a 10 1/2" X 7 1/2" clear plastic tray that lays on top of the bottom trays and gives me another level of storage for "stuff". Works great for me.

• 5 months later...

Americans are dumb, look at who we vote for.That's why they have include instructions.

BMW bags I hope are now better that years ago. I had a couple 2nd hand and when they started to fall apart I realized the base unit was not much more than cardboard. Phooey. There are so many aftermarket units of such high quality that I'd never concider a BMW bag again. dopeslap.gif

Anyone figure out a way to lock it to the bike?

I just bought the BMW tank bag yesterday and was wondering the same thing. It's a nice bag, but it kinda requires that you take it with you whenever you arrive at your destination. Anybody got any clever ways to secure it to the bike? At $300+ I'd hate to lose it!

Archived