IGNORED

Coffee on a summer night

OlGeezer

Epilogue:

Right off the bat I wondered if this “event” was worth it. I spend a significant amount of time lane splitting. First on I-5 between Jamboree and the 57 then on 57 between the 91 and the 10. Some places get a little tight and I nearly tap a gentlemen who decides he’s tired of the HOV lane. But I had to find out if these folks on the BMWST site are posers who spend more time on the Internet virtual riding or they are really riders. Now, I know Steve rides, but he could be an anomaly (which he certainly is).

I exit the 210 and immediately turn the wrong direction. My “GPS” (paper map) is correct. I just can’t take directions very well. I correct the error and arrive a little after 7 pm. I am immediately greeted by Paul (aka GelStra) whose enthusiasm plummeted when he realized I wasn’t Steve (our bikes look similar). He was cordial none the less. He just finished a day of ERC and squeezed in a few moments of C&C (coffee and camaraderie) before reporting in to “The Boss”. Apparently he has a short leash. I met Shawnee Bill, out for a couple of days from Oklahoma. Not bad, for an Okie.

I left about 9 pm and the ride home was incredible. Those warm summer evenings in Southern California are wonderful, particularly on those rare days when it’s not five lanes of bumper to bumper. The skies were even clear. Amazing. I couldn’t help but think how difficult it was going to be for Shawnee Bill to stop in Barstow on such a wonderful evening. Me? I would have probably continued on to Needles, consistent with his original plan.

So far, so good. No posers.

Bill Allen

I am immediately greeted by Paul (aka GelStra) whose enthusiasm plummeted when he realized I wasn’t Steve (our bikes look similar). He was cordial none the less.

Enthusiasm, no. Embarrassment, sky high! blush.gif

Nonetheless, damn glad ta meetcha!

AdventurePoser

Bill, Paul, and Bill,

It was great seeing you all for coffee and lies, er, conversation....Bill Allen, this time you didn't get the long distance award, but maybe next time.

Shawnee, I hope your ride is continuing to go well.

Paul, thanks for the cap!

In all, we had a small get together, but what a great group of guys. Thanks for venturing out....And, for those who didn't make it this time, maybe next time!

Cheers,

Steve

Couchrocket

Hi Steve,

Guess who made his way to Glendora tonight . . . only to come home consternated and then re-read the ride plan post to find out it was Thursday moved to Wednesday, not Wednesday moved to Thursday.

Old age sucks . . . my brain must be turning to mush. OTOH, I had a great iced mocha at the Grind, and then a wonderful pastrami at "The Hat" on my way out of town! LOL....

So, I was 'with you' in spirit, even if I was a day late and about half a pound of gray-matter short.

Scott Adams

aka "Couchrocket"

Now a denizen of Sun City, CA

Shawnee Bill
Epilogue:

Amazing. I couldn’t help but think how difficult it was going to be for Shawnee Bill to stop in Barstow on such a wonderful evening. Me? I would have probably continued on to Needles, consistent with his original plan.

So far, so good. No posers.

Bill Allen

You're right, If I hadn't made reservations in Barstow it would have been a nice evening ride on to Needles.

It was nice meeting up with you guys, turns out California riders are sorta like regular people after all. grin.gif I suppose it was worth a 1400 mile ride, each way, to have coffee with some fellow riders.

Sorry I missed you Scott.

Made it home Friday afternoon, couple of easy days riding down I-40. Couple of times in Arizona I really wanted to test my newly learned lane splitting skills, two differnet wrecks had traffic backed up a couple of miles each. One I ended up taking a couple of miles of GS type roads through the desert to go around, kinda fun but I think it actually took longer than waiting my turn in traffic would have taken.

AdventurePoser

Backward hicks that they are, The AZ Dept of Public Safety takes a Dim View of lane splitting.

Glad you are home!

Steve

Archived