IGNORED

Need oil change advise

penquino

I am about to do MY first oil change on my 06 RT and due to BMW's ongoing plan to give you more for less, my book does not give me the simple information I need. What is the oil capacity with filter change? I assume about 3.75 qt. Does the drain plug torque to 23 ft.lb (32 Nm.) and the filter to 12 Nm ?

Thanks

Oil capacity for the R1200RT is 4 liters including the filter. Drain plug torque is 23 Nm and oil filter torque is 11 Nm, but let me give you some advice that was pass onto me by a BMW mechanic regarding the oil filter; give it one full and complete turn after the gasket contacts the base and ignore the 11 Nm spec.

Well it did the oil change, a nice slow one to let drain, added the 4 liters, went for a ride, then drained some back out until I could see some space in the glass. From now on I will add 3.75 liters and top up if nessesary.

Mine came to just below the top of the sight window after adding four quarts. Are you sure the engine was warmed up thoroughly before draining your oil? If it isn't up to operating temp the oil thermostat will likely not allow draining of the oil cooler circuit into the crankcase leaving that oil in the engine. This would cause an overfill condition like you observed. The Oil heads had a capacity of 3.75 qts, but the information on the Hex head reads 4 quarts. My observation is that fiqure is correct.

I only passed on the spec; right out of the BMW shop manual for the R1200RT. Four liters has worked for me without overfilling the bike. My guess is that you didn't drain all of the oil out.

You'll get a lot of opinions on how to drain the oil from the RT. Here is what I recommend; ride until fully warmed up; park and leave it on the side stand for 10 minutes, put on the center stand and drain the oil.

Your method will work too, but I know you'd prefer to drain all the old oil out first. 3.75 liters should get you to the dot when the bike is completely drained of oil and 4 liters to the top of the line.

Mudman, we are getting our quarts and liters mixed up. When you pour in 4 quarts you are pouring in 3.78 liters.

4 quarts X .9463 = 3.78 liters

Changed my oil & filter on Friday, or should I say my trusty independent BMW master tech did it along with my 10,000 km service. He put in 4 litres when all was said and done (about 3 1/2--3 3/4L initially, then topped off with the full 4L after he gave it some time).

I agree, but didn't understand your reply. I was trying to point out the earlier oil heads (R259 series) used less oil in an oil change than the current Hex head (K25 series) engines. I thought I was using quarts in both examples. Oh well, we can agree the R1200RT uses 4 quarts once it is thoroughly drained. wink.gif

Archived