IGNORED

My input shaft spline failure/repair - lots of pics

Bart Anderson

Bart Anderson

It was less than two weeks before we were scheduled to leave for Gunny. PoPo's bike was almost ready to go after his input shaft failure, we were just waiting on an injector part that we had broken during reassembly. I had been riding all day in the Houston county area (the Hiawatha rally was on) with a guy on a Honda 959RR when, 80 miles from home in a 90 mph+ sweeper, I got the "pop - zzzzzzzzz" of an input spline failure.

Rode on the back of the RR home (OMG! how do those girls do it?), then took PoPo's trailer down to get the bike off the side of the road. With a tight deadline and a lot of help from my friends, we got the input shaft and clutch replaced in time to leave for Gunny.

Our local hero Tom Roe stepped in and really saved the day. In addition to the input shaft, we replaced all of the other bearings in the tranny and re-shimmed it to tighter-than-BMW-spec measurements. Thank you Tom!

My thanks also go out to the guys at Chicago BMW for getting me the parts in a big hurry, and Fred at Silverback Performance for the press and caliper use.

Bike is a 2000 R1100RT with 63k on the clock at the time of failure. Pics below...

The obligatory tail-in-the-air pic. Would you let this man handle your transmission?

78526780-M.jpg

The clutch and flywheel. No evidence of oil leakage anywhere.

78526714-M.jpg

Clutch splines.

78526040-M.jpg

Clutch splines closeup.

78526516-M.jpg

Input shaft.

78526100-M.jpg

Input shaft spline closeup.

78526502-M.jpg

Cover off tranny.

78526223-M.jpg

Shift drum removed.

78526286-M.jpg

Output shaft, intermediate shaft, and input shaft.

78526351-M.jpg

Empty casing.

78526411-M.jpg

Replacing bearings on a picnic table at Betty's. Thanks again Tom!

78526446-M.jpg

Tom and Fred measuring...

78526495-M.jpg

We ended up using a crank shim for a Ducati in my tranny because of the tight time line. While all is well so far, if I start to get a rattle It'll surely be the Italians' fault.

I assume you didn't have time to measure if there was runout between the engine crankshaft and the transmission input shaft. Was there any debris looking like corrosion inside the clutch housing?

Your spline PIX looks like there was a radial offset between the two axes. Was your clutch disk worn on the faces? You might want to plan on taking it apart again some Minnesota winter for relubing and maybe a runout check.

Bart Anderson
So how long did the whole job take? Including head scratching and seeking divine intervention. JP

My wild guess would be about 20 hours total.

I assume you didn't have time to measure if there was runout between the engine crankshaft and the transmission input shaft. Was there any debris looking like corrosion inside the clutch housing?

Your spline PIX looks like there was a radial offset between the two axes. Was your clutch disk worn on the faces? You might want to plan on taking it apart again some Minnesota winter for relubing and maybe a runout check.

Didn't see any abnormal debris. I'll do a re-lube in 30-40k or so. Not sure about a runout check...we'll see what things look like then.

had the splines ever been apart to be lubed with moly grease?

No. Coulda, shoulda...but hadn't.

Nice Job! thumbsup.gif

Those pictures look incredibly familiar!

With 63k on your bike I would think that indicates the misalignment is not too bad, and you should be OK just keeping an eye on things and regreasing often. Did you notice any difficulty shifting just before the failure? Does the tranny shift different now? I've experienced a dramatic improvement in shifting smoothness on my K12RS since I realigned the engine & tranny.

Just one question though:

...we replaced all of the other bearings in the tranny and re-shimmed it to tighter-than-BMW-spec measurements...

Why?

Derek

Bart Anderson
Just one question though:

...we replaced all of the other bearings in the tranny and re-shimmed it to tighter-than-BMW-spec measurements...

Why?

Derek

Bearings: because I could, and they're relatively cheap from a local bearing supplier. Re-shimming: because Tom recommended it strongly and agreed to help. I'd better let him explain further if he's inclined.

Archived