IGNORED

Stupid Oil Change Question

Antimatter

I've finally had a chance to change the oil on the 2000 BWM R1100RT I bought last year. I haven't been able to put many miles on the bike due to a fairly busy home improvement schedule.

My question is that when looking at the bottom of the engine, I see a second hole with what looks like a metal plug in it. It's located right in front of the oil filter, with 'front' referring to the front wheel of the motorcycle. My oil drain plug is located on the front left corner of the bottom of the engine, btw. The BMW repair manual I have is a little obtuse about what this could be.

Does anyone know? Is it an extra plug in case I strip out the exisiting one? A point for some sort of engine removal framework?

I'd appreciate anyone's input. Thanks.

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but there is NOT an alternative plug for the oil pan in case you strip one out. Try this link to a parts fische at Max BMW for an exploded view. It's the "lubrication system - oil filter" diagram.

Hope that helps!

Doug

Yup, looked at Max BMW's diagrams but was still confused. The problem was I couldn't see a diagram of the left (as you're facing forward) side of the lower engine casing - the side where the oil filter goes. That's where this mystery opening is. And there are two fiche's for "Lubrication System - Oil Filter", one with a regular drain plug and the other with some sort of temperature switch (part #17211342174) showing on the bottom. Neither one seems to reflect where my oil drain plug is - mine's way more forward and towards one corner of the pan rather than being right in the middle.

Thanks for the response, though.

I've finally had a chance to change the oil on the 2000 BWM R1100RT I bought last year. I haven't been able to put many miles on the bike due to a fairly busy home improvement schedule.

My question is that when looking at the bottom of the engine, I see a second hole with what looks like a metal plug in it. It's located right in front of the oil filter, with 'front' referring to the front wheel of the motorcycle. My oil drain plug is located on the front left corner of the bottom of the engine, btw. The BMW repair manual I have is a little obtuse about what this could be.

Does anyone know? Is it an extra plug in case I strip out the exisiting one? A point for some sort of engine removal framework?

I'd appreciate anyone's input. Thanks.

Careful there, ol Andy got 60 days in the hole for using works like "obtuse" . wink.gif

Great online handle by the way. Good one!

Not sure about your drain plug issue. Sorry

Careful there, ol Andy got 60 days in the hole for using works like "obtuse" . wink.gif

Great online handle by the way. Good one!

Not sure about your drain plug issue. Sorry

Yes, and Warden Norton died of lead poisoning.....

Andy ended up in paradise....Zihuatanejo......

Outstanding movie....

Remove the threaded hex drain plug........leave the other alone.

I think that's the key. I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie and just use the regular drain plug that I've got.

Thanks, guys.

Which opening are your talking about? Is it on the picture in ebay item.290002049660? This is a link to the image, case bottom

Nope, but that's a much better view than I could provide. The 'mystery opening' is in the area right above the oil filter opening.

But I'm just leave it be. Well, actually, I'm thinking about throwing some JB Weld up there just so I don't have that plug suddenly let go on me somewhere far from home. I suppose I could tap it for a bolt of some kind, but I think I'd rather just ride the bike grin.gif

Thanks for your help.

Archived