IGNORED

Phillips Screws on a Beemer!

Rusty1945

Ok I noticed that the fasteners that hold the lid on my brake reservoir are, egad, phillips head. The fasteners on the clutch lid are the usual torx. What gives? Is it to make it possible to add brake fluid even if you're in east awfulgosh Montana? Or did my dealer secretly change out the bolts? eek.gif

If you have to add brake fluid to the either brake control circuit on your bike, you have a much bigger problem than adding brake fluid will solve. That fluid level should stay consistant regardless of brake pad wear or other wear factors. Given the fact that both covers contain totally incompatible fluids this scheme of different fastners makes sense. Mine is set up the same way. cool.gif

If you have to add brake fluid to the either brake control circuit on your bike, you have a much bigger problem than adding brake fluid will solve. That fluid level should stay consistant regardless of brake pad wear or other wear factors. Given the fact that both covers contain totally incompatible fluids this scheme of different fastners makes sense. Mine is set up the same way. cool.gif
Agree totally and glad I'm not the only one with this setup.

Mine is the same way; phillips on one, torx on the other.

By the way, there are phillips screws holding the tail light assembly together.

The answer is ...."because". No sense to it.

My ol' K100RT has Torx screws that hold the bell housing to the motor. But that is the only place they are used, Everwyere else in the motor they use allens or hex bolts. Why did they use Torx there? Who knows!

I found a screw loose on my 1200 RT ......... oh no , hang on a minute .......... that's me !! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Steve

Graeme ,

The bike came suppiled with it last year - they gave me the option [ at the time you could have either ] - not sure of the current legal requirement .

Looking at cars parked here at work , there are several with 05 plates [ no blue GB bit on the plate ] , and yet there are some 53 plate cars that have it on . Is it an EU thing I wonder ??

Steve

Graeme ,

The bike came suppiled with it last year - they gave me the option [ at the time you could have either ] - not sure of the current legal requirement .

Looking at cars parked here at work , there are several with 05 plates [ no blue GB bit on the plate ] , and yet there are some 53 plate cars that have it on . Is it an EU thing I wonder ??

Steve

It is an optional extra. If you have a Euro plate you do not need the oval white GB sticker within Europe. You still need to carry the GB sticker for non EU countries, or if you do not have a Euro plate.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Archived