IGNORED

1150rt clutch

jojo

folks,

i noticed that my clutch starts slipping at high torque. the bike has only 22k on the clock. i have also noticed that clutch lever is very sensitive. i mean a slight action on the lever would be enough to make the clutch slip.

Has any of you experienced clutch problems at such low mileage?

thanks,

george

i actually read a few threads on this forum were clutches die at 15k but they are all 1100rt. is there any known issues with the latest 1150 equipped with a hydraulic clutch?

george

i actually read a few threads on this forum were clutches die at 15k but they are all 1100rt. is there any known issues with the latest 1150 equipped with a hydraulic clutch?

george

Hi George and welcome to the board wave.gif

I killed my clutch at 30K miles. I think it was caused by my slowing the bike with down-changes rather than the brakes and speed-matching the engine to the wheels. Wet clutches stand that quite well, our dry clutches do not.

The clutch change is a big job and would have cost me over £700 at the dealers, so with the help of some friends I did it myself. Here is the story.

My symptoms were exactly like yours, clutch slip at high load and a clutch lever that disengaged if you looked at it.

Andy

Agh oh, this sounds suspiciously like the classic leaky seal, contaminated clutch scenario.

At any rate a tear down is in your future to investigate, correct.

If you are a reasonably competent DYIer, there is lots of assistance here to help you with the project (do a search on "Spline Lube" to find disassembly guidelines. If not it is a significant cost at the dealers.

Sorry. frown.gif

[quote

Hi George and welcome to the board wave.gif

I killed my clutch at 30K miles. I think it was caused by my slowing the bike with down-changes rather than the brakes and speed-matching the engine to the wheels. Wet clutches stand that quite well, our dry clutches do not.

down-shifting is also my way of decelerating. it's what i've been told to do in driving school 20 years ago and that's the way i've been driving cars and bike for the past 20 years and I never had to change a clutch...ever!

well if the clutch is really letting me down i better put my skates on and do something about it. i'm going touring for 3 weeks in western europe in september and i don't want to cancel because of that clutch. i'm starting missing my good old Honda Deauville. 45k miles and only had to change 1 fuse in 3 years...

george

Archived