IGNORED

A new device to attach to your GPS

leonb

Hiya,

I was just reading the quaterly magazine published by the Dutch "Eindhoven University of Technology". There is an article in there about how a student, in close cooperation with TomTom, developed a different kind of interface to get the information from a GPS to you as motorcyclist.

The student desgined a (kidney-)belt which includes 8 little actuators which can vibrate. So if you need to turn right in half a mile, the actuator on your right will vibrate once. Closer to where you have to run, it will vibrate twice. And three times when you really need to turn. A roundabout is being signaled as a whirly motion, done by vibrating each actuator for a short burst in order.

It says that this belt can translate all important information to the rider, without him/her having to look at the screen. All 5 test-riders had no problem working with the system.

The article doesn't say anything about wiring up your helmet with sound though.

I thought it was an interesting idea! TomTom is not sure if they are going to develop this belt further.

Leon

I bought one and my GF sits closer than ever. She asked me to program a slalom course route up to Lombard Street in San Francisco.

a (kidney-)belt which includes 8 little actuators which can vibrate. So if you need to turn right in half a mile, the actuator on your right will vibrate once. Closer to where you have to run, it will vibrate twice. And three times when you really need to turn. A roundabout is being signaled as a whirly motion, done by vibrating each actuator for a short burst in order.

Well that's just a bit too farkly even for me!

Does sound like the perfect thing for the blind rider though.

MooreDriven
I bought one and my GF sits closer than ever. She asked me to program a slalom course route up to Lombard Street in San Francisco.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifblush.gifblush.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.giftongue.giftongue.gif

That's funny, I don't care who you are!!!

Archived