IGNORED

Which gear?

Rob L

This has happened 2 times now. I spend some time riding in the rain and I notice that the gear indicator on the RID is reading wrong. Doesn't make any sense! Any gear may be shown no matter which gear I am really in! 5th gear seems to be the biggest culprit, it always reads either 4th or 6th frown.gif If I wait a day everything returns to normal crazy.gif

Any ideas? I would imagine that a connector is getting wet....but where? confused.gif

This has happened 2 times now. I spend some time riding in the rain and I notice that the gear indicator on the RID is reading wrong. Doesn't make any sense! Any gear may be shown no matter which gear I am really in! 5th gear seems to be the biggest culprit, it always reads either 4th or 6th frown.gif If I wait a day everything returns to normal crazy.gif

Any ideas? I would imagine that a connector is getting wet....but where? confused.gif

Ignore it. Either water got into your RID, in which case it'll dry eventually, or water is upsetting the gear position sensor, which you don't want to try to get to until you're ready to go after your clutch or splines.

I DO ignore it, but if it is just a connector getting wet, maybe I can seal it up. I don't think that it is the display that is malfunctioning, most likely something down low.

In front of the rear tire is the switch that sends the signal up to the RID. It is a pain in the a$$ to replace, I do not remember how hard it is to get to the connector, but if I remember, to clean the connector and seal it up is just as much a pain. I replaced mine on my 1100RT, but it took me the better part of a day by myself. If I had to do it again, I would wait till I needed to do the splines lube before I got into it again. Sorry I can't help much, it has been quite a few beers, I mean years since I replaced it. Phil

duckbubbles

I had this happen on a K100RS I had years ago. Imagine showing 8th and 9th gears! It was the gear indicator switch, located on the rear of the transmission, you may have to pull the swingarm to get at it.

Frank

On the R1150xx it's a bit easier because you can get out the switch ass'y at the rear of the tranny without pulling the swing arm and FD ass'y off the bike. Unlike the R1100xx where you must do so.

The problem is rarely the connector which is well protected under the tank.

Likewise water in RID is unusual and you'd be seeing condensation on the inside of the lens if it was.

Usually it's the switch itself.

Archived