IGNORED

Anything I should know about Ohlins on an ESA RT?

Limecreek

I have a set of Ohlins coming for my ESA equipped 12RT. Has anyone else gone through with this installation? Any issues I need to be aware of?

If I end up being the first, I'll document and post pictures of the installation.

I can't wait to get rid of the ESA system! thumbsup.gif

Are these Ohlins "adjustable" via the ESA functionality? If so, I'm in the market just because I loved my last set of Ohlins on my 03RT and the jury is still out of my stock ESA equipped R12RT. If Ohlins made a "plug and play" ESA compatible set, I'd jump on them.

I am working around ESA and installing the standard Ohlins. It's big bucks for the whiz-bang variety of Ohlins.... crazy.gif, besides I think I've had my fill of the push button suspension systems.

Gregory,

Do keep us posted on this as I'm interested in how the ZFE and display modules behave once the rear shock goes away. There are some reports that the dealer can set the ZFE to the mode for a non-ESA bike so there are no dash displayed indicators, errors, etc. any more.

ISFA as the installation, it should be straight forward. I know of one R12RT owner who has done it, but it was on a non-ESA version. He loves his.

I put a set of (Standard model) Ohlins on my R1200RT and am please with the ride\handling improvement. Bike was non-ESA.

Craig

duckbubbles

Hi, Greg:

If you haven't taken the ESA shocks off yet, maybe you could try unplugging them and see what the computer does.

As for installation, I just posted a quick report on putting the Wilbers on my ST. Wasn't real bad at all, but I have less tupperware.

Frank

.....and the jury is still out of my stock ESA equipped R12RT.

Not mine, the jury's IN afa I am concerned. frown.gif

This is wierd! Really, Yesterday I brought home my new RT- non ESA. I was having a tinge of buyers remorse about not getting the ESA model that was sitting right next to the one I chose. My thought process was "just one more thing to break."

I'm sorry for all your aggravation but somewhat relived with my choice. It sounds like a nice toy but not quite sorted out yet. Is my understanding correct that the rear shock is the only shock that is adjustable and it is adjustable on either model? Adjustable for preload/damping no rebound? If there is an adjustment for front suspension I couldn't locate it in the owners manual.

thanks

duckbubbles

Hi fla-

The rear shock has adjustments for spring preload and rebound damping. The knob below your seat adjusts the spring preload. A slot head "screw" above the bottom shock mount adjusts the rebound damping. S-H= soft-hard. The front shock is not adjustable.

Yeah, the ESA is a cool gimmick if it would work like it should. I think the majority of owners find it good. But as with any new gadget the bugs and manufacturing processes need to be refined. I was keen to get ESA when I bought my bike, but it wasn't offered at the time for the ST. Am I lucky?

Frank

The shocks should arrive tomorrow if UPS is running trucks. I shot a note to Whip to find out what his dealer did, if anything, to disable the ESA after they installed Wilbers.

I should have answers later this week.

duckbubbles

Hi Greg-

Have you tried unplugging the shock connections and turn on the bike to see what it does? I think, but don't know, that an ace with the service computer can delete the ESA program, but I might be wrong.

Frank

1900 miles with new shocks....no issues with the ESA computor....Shocks need a little adjusting but otherwise everything worked great....

Whip

Maybe it's because I'm new to the board and havent come across the topic before, but I've never heard of any ESA bugs/issues. All the bikes and riders I've met, I haven't heard of anything. I love ESA on my bike thumbsup.gif

St0nkingByte

You have to take things you read on here in stride because alot of people actively seek out the board when they have a problem. Also threads on here are top Google hits for many RT related topics so people searching for help get sucked in that way too. I wouldn't say in terms of problems our posting population is a fair representation, we're heavily skewed towards people with problems with and concerns about their bikes. There are a ton of people out there just riding their RTs and having a blast thumbsup.gif

I would be interested to know if the conversion will affect the seat height since I read somewhere that the non-ESA equiped bikes are an inch or so shorter.

Jay

Maybe it's because I'm new to the board and havent come across the topic before, but I've never heard of any ESA bugs/issues. All the bikes and riders I've met, I haven't heard of anything. I love ESA on my bike thumbsup.gif

Jeff

My ESA system completely crashed at about 22k(not under waranty)....after riding a non ESA bike I decided I liked it's ride better so I replace it with Wilbers....Greg(Limecreek) is a very good/aggressive rider...he will like a firmer sportier ride....I think depending on your riding style the ESA system may be fine....but it really can't be as fine tuned as an Ohlins or Wilber equiped bike....

Whip

You have to take things you read on here in stride because alot of people actively seek out the board when they have a problem. Also threads on here are top Google hits for many RT related topics so people searching for help get sucked in that way too. I wouldn't say in terms of problems our posting population is a fair representation, we're heavily skewed towards people with problems with and concerns about their bikes. There are a ton of people out there just riding their RTs and having a blast thumbsup.gif
I couldn't agree more; I'm one of those just riding their RT and having a blast. This is certainly the place to come if you're having problems or looking for advice on aftermarket accessories. But that also makes it a place where you could get the idea that BMW makes bikes that do nothing but break down and agravate their owners - not.

I agree with you completely. This is common on any discussion board you can find. If I read various boards before buying my last two cars and last four motorcycles I wouldn't have purchased any and would have a fat bank account grin.gif

Fortunately on all the mentioned purchases I am having a blast with none of the problems touted. Sure, things will go wrong, but the picture one gets from these boards is highly skewed. Riders that are loving their bikes, rolling on trouble free miles won't write much compared to these who have a problem especially if it isn’t getting handled well.

Life is good, enjoy the ride.

thumbsup.gif

I'm please that many riders find the ESA a value add and are completely satisfied with the system. BMW will continue to get your business and I'm sure they will refine the system and make it better and better.

The RT handles quite well for a big machine, but I think the ESA limitation keep me from enjoying a full 100% of the RT's handling potential and that is why the ESA system is going on the shelf and Ohlins are going on.

I'm not bashing the system--it just doesn't work for me.

My ESA system completely crashed at about 22k(not under waranty)....

Whip,

I am new to BMW's but I thought there was a 3 year 36,000 warranty on new bikes. Why wasn't it covered under warranty?

Bob near Albuquerque

Hi,

Don't think the warantee covers "wear" items such as shocks,tires.

If you can prove a defect they will probably cover,but if it's just considered worn,then you're out of luck,unless you have a dealer that will really go to bat for you.

JR356

Hi,

If you can prove a defect they will probably cover,but if it's just considered worn,then you're out of luck,unless you have a dealer that will really go to bat for you.

JR356

thumbsup.gifdopeslap.gif

Whip

My ESA system completely crashed at about 22k(not under waranty)....

But surely the ESA system is not considered a wear item (though the shocks maybe)?

Archived