IGNORED

Help removing decal from windscreen

STL RT Rider

STL RT Rider

Any ideas on removing an ugly decal from an aftermarket screen? I've tried soaking it, using heat gun, nothing seems to loosen it. It looks like a typical decal, the type you would apply by soaking it, applying and letting it dry.

I've got some of that "Goo Gone" stuff for removing things like stickers, but I'm afraid it will ruin, or at the very least discolor, the acrylic screen. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

Try a single side razor blade with vaseline. Vaseline keeps the blade from digging in and seems to soften the glue.

I doubt that goo-gone, the orange oil based solvent, will harm your screen. It is always pretty high on my list of not-too-agressive solvents to try. Goof Off, on the other hand, will trash the plastic for sure.

You might consider steam from an electric kettle, being sure not to overheat the plastic and melt it. Sometimes moist heat like that will succeed where neither water nor dry heat from a heat gun does the job. Good luck. I hate stickers on my stuff and ususally the first thing I do when I get home is remove the BNG (Bold New Graphics).

Another suggestion is to heat the decal (not too hot!) with a hair dryer then use a fingernail to lift one edge of the decal. Once lifted about 1/4th inch, hold the lifted edge with pliers and apply more heat to soften the adhesive and continue to slowly pull the decal from the windscreen. Clean up with citrus solvent follwed by a solution of dishwashing detergent and polish.

To remove the decal on my Aeroflow, I first heated the decal with a hair dryer until I could get a grip on an edge and pulled gently. I was able to remove it in one piece. Then, I used 3M Adhesive, Tar and Wax Remover to remove the residual adhesive. You woulda never known there was a decal there to begin with.

Once you get the decal off you can also use some waterless hand cleaner, Goop works good. Don't use the stuff that has granulated pumic, it might scratch the screen.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...
STL RT Rider

Thanks for the ideas. I tried all the above and none worked. Time to find another ugly sticker to cover the uglier one! frown.gif

The local BMW dealership cautioned me to NOT use a power washer on my 12RT as it could remove the decals from the tupperware... blush.gif

Good luck!

Greg

Archived