IGNORED

BMW Motorrad Navigator III

graemer57

John Bentall
Any know which Garmin model the new Navigator 3 is based on??

Yes, it shares software and firmware with the 2820.

It shares features with the 2720 such as screen and 3-D view but is of the 28xx generation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks it does

In UK the Nav 3 is £995 and the 2820 is £750, and of course doesnt come with the special BMW mount. I currently have a Nav 2 Plus and I love it. Just got back from Belgium trip where it worked really well, unlike one of my fellow travelers TomTom Rider, which chose some weird and wonderful routes (and earned the nickname of ShatNav on the first day, a little unfairly I thought). Am tempted to upgrade and sell the Nav 2 Plus via eBay as I like the idea of 3D mapping, better voicing of the routes plus Bluetooth connection with my phone (which currently runs through my Autocom. I know the usual arguements about being able to buy the Garmin equivalent for less (except it isnt the exact equivalent is it)... but once a label tart, always a label tart... :-)

John Bentall

Graeme,

Have you got a bluetooth helmet or bluetooth adaptor for the Autocom? You'll need one of these to go fully bluetooth on the phone.

2820 has an MP3 player which I personally would probably find useful. I'd like to have a TrafficMaster adaptor for the car with the money I'd save buying the Garmin.

Good luck, "label-tart" and let us know how you get on.

P.S. I wish I could get my 17-yr old to practice the double-bass regularly!

hmmmm Got the impression that the Nav 3 would let me dial and accept calls via bluetooth and that sound would come through Autocom via current wired connection, at least until bluetooth helmets become more popular or I invest in the Autocom bluetooth adaptor... need to look into that more. currently wear an AGV Ti-Tech which I love...also have a Schuberth Concept but more and more find that a bit too 'flat-fronted' and the air pressure makes my neck sore after a while (partly my fault I guess as I dont run with my screen high all of the time). Judging by the info on the BMW website the expensive BMW bluetooth helmets (still made by Schuberth I believe???)wont let both rider and passenger talk on the phone, whereas on Autocom both can.

As for getting kids to practice musical instruments... you could make a fortune if you crack that one :-) We found that bribery worked for us.... sometimes!

Hmmm....

The 2820 has wired connections (3.5mm stereo line out/headphone and 2.5mm microphone). At first glance I would say just hardwaire to your autocom and bluetooth to the phone. But after thinking about this for second or two I realised that you might need a special cable for the autocom to 2820 connection. Normally this is just a stereo (maybe mono) connection but now we need to worry aobut the mic input. Might have to treat it like a bike-to-bike FRS/GMRS connection. Then that brings up another problem. Could you get MP3s/XM to play in stereo via the autocom? I are confused confused.gif

Fernando/autocom tom????

John Bentall
hmmmm Got the impression that the Nav 3 would let me dial and accept calls via bluetooth and that sound would come through Autocom via current wired connection

You should be able to get the bluetooth pairing between the 2820 and the phone fairly easily. As the you say, the phone must be hard-wired still.

Hi John

Hijacking my own thread...dont suppose you fancy going Black/black instead of black /silver do you? :-) Am looking to swap over my lowers to go to red/silver

John Bentall

Graeme,

It's been black/silver for over a year now. I think I and the bike would both suffer an identity crisis if we changed now!

Archived