IGNORED

Top joints on upper fork bridge

Krolroger

Hi, can anyone please give me some advice on removing and replacing the top joints (in which are located the top ends of the fixed tubes) on my R1100RT? The manual is a bit sketchy on this... Thanks.

Hi, the bike was side swiped while parked. I'm rebuilding the front end: forks, sliders, lower bridge, wheel, discs, telelever, shock. One of the joints looks out of shape and as it's not a high ££ item, thought I would replace them. Just not entirely sure how..

Hi, Diagram Two, #3, presumably #2 is a circlip. Anyway, do these just drift out, or do I have to heat the bridge? Thanks.

They can be pushed out with a drift, but in situations such as this I always advocate heating the outer item. Finesse before force.

As a side question, damage to this area is really (really) unusual except in catastrophic situations. Are you sure the much softer upper has no damage?

Hello, the upper bridge and bearing appears to be fine, but the hole in the l/h top joint does not appear to be quite central. The l/h fixed tube took a fair old whack. Thanks for your time.

Archived