IGNORED

handlebar vibration

jwurbel

have a 05 1200 rt. vibration thru right handlebar above 70 mph becomes numbing after about 30m minutes. bike only has 2200 miles on it, but the dealer says it will eventually go away when broken it. any thoughts from anyone or similar experiences?

Might disappear after the 3000-mile valve tightening. Often after the break-in services the vibrations often disappear…

duckbubbles

The vibration will probably subside with mileage. But many on this site say that throttle body synch can cause all kind of ill effects. Maybe you can have the dealer check that for you. Sounds like that to me. Mine's always been supremely smooth.

Frank

Richard_Spag

This may not be any consolation to you at all, but my RT has only become really usable over 85mph after 20,000 miles!

Stick with it - it will get better.

Cheers

Richard

My R1200RT developed a vibration ar high revs from after about 7500km. Since the 10000km service where the TB'd were synchronised the motor is as smooth as.

MooreDriven

I think the subjects been covered pretty good thus far, but a few more comments. I have noticed the vibration has increased since my 600 mile service. I am currently at 5,400 miles, and noticed the vibration substanially last night during a ride. I'll wait until after the 6000 mile service before getting worried. I never really noticed it much before, but now that I have read this post, it will be stuck in my head! dopeslap.gif

have a 05 1200 rt. vibration thru right handlebar above 70 mph becomes numbing after about 30m minutes. bike only has 2200 miles on it, but the dealer says it will eventually go away when broken it. any thoughts from anyone or similar experiences?

Translation: "I don't know how to fix it".

I see no reason why time will make the vibration go away.

Does the bike have handlebar weights? If so, make sure they are not installed too tight. These things do NOT function as mere weights. They are Antiresonators. They are intended to vibrate out of phase with the handgrips, thus partially cancelling the original vibration.

They are typically mounted to the inside of the handgrip, using an interally expanding rubber "bung". If the mounting screw is too tight, the weight becomes fixed rigidly to the handgrip, eliminating its antiresonance function.

The weight should be free to move a little when you try to wiggle it. Not loose and floppy, but still able to wiggle a bit with a moderate lateral force. This means that it should mot be jammed against the rubber grip, and the mounting screw should not be wound up tight.

Assuming this is what is on your bike, you might also try "tuning" the compliance of the rubber mount by trying different screw torques.

Translation: "I don't know how to fix it".
Indeed. It will not go away with mileage, only via some sort of change in the state of tune. As the engine wears in it may require more frequent tuning (valve adjustmets, TB syncs, etc.) as it settles in, but if tuned properly you should be able to reduce vibration to whatever smoothness the bike is capable of.

BTW, I'm not sure about the hexheads but the handlebar weights on the 1100s are hard-mounted to the bars and there will be no movement whatsoever if you tug on them.

BTW, I'm not sure about the hexheads but the handlebar weights on the 1100s are hard-mounted to the bars and there will be no movement whatsoever if you tug on them.

They appeared to be hard mounted on my K100, too, until I took them off and figured out how they were supposed to work. Loosening the mounting screw (that goes in from the end) to allow a little "springiness" resulted in a reduction of handlebar buzz (which on a K100 is very welcome!!).

Archived