IGNORED

Front end noise 05 1200rt

bmwdavid

Occaisonaly I hear a clunk when hitting certain bumps or pot holes. It sounds like it is the fairing making the noise, but wondering if it could be the front suspension bottoming out. Anyone else ever get any noise from their front end?

You can find out pretty easily of the suspension is bottoming out.

Wrap a tie wrap snugly around one of the front suspension tubes (stanchion tube)and slide it against the lower slider with the bike parked on the center stand. That will mark the full rebound position. Measure that distance from the upper plate.

Ride the bike until you get the clunk. Stop at first chance and measure the tie wrap position relative to the upper plate.

Take the rebound measurement and subtract the ride recorded measurement to get your total travel. It should be under the published suspension travel of 4 3/4 inches for the RT. If it is the max travel you probably are bottoming out and need to inspect the front suspension cartridge. If it is under 4 3/4 inches you have something else loose.

Hope this helps thumbsup.gif

I also noticed a "clunk" and traced it to the windshield. On my RT, when lowering the windshield, there are two different modes: One where at the end of its downward travel, it seems to back up a bit and then completes the lowering process. The other where the windshield lowers without pausing. I can't figure out what circumstances the windshiled "considers" when it chooses one mode or the other. Nevertheless, when I hear the "clunk", if I raise the windshield slightly and then re-lower it, the noise is resolved.

I used some spray lubricant on the rods, hinges and other moving parts on the windshield mechanism, and that seemes to have resolved the problem.

Are you saying you hear this clunk when traveling or when you are lowering the windshield? I hear noise occasionaly when hitting certain bumps.

I also noticed a "clunk" and traced it to the windshield. On my RT, when lowering the windshield, there are two different modes: One where at the end of its downward travel, it seems to back up a bit and then completes the lowering process. The other where the windshield lowers without pausing. I can't figure out what circumstances the windshiled "considers" when it chooses one mode or the other. Nevertheless, when I hear the "clunk", if I raise the windshield slightly and then re-lower it, the noise is resolved.

I used some spray lubricant on the rods, hinges and other moving parts on the windshield mechanism, and that seemes to have resolved the problem.

Your shield will do the "bump" at the bottom the first time you lower it after starting up, after that it will not do it. It does this to find the lowest spot of the movement range, but it has to do it each time you start the bike. I suppose this keeps the range of travel consistent so it won't over or under adjust the shield.

As for the noise, I have no idea. confused.gif

Are Yes, the dreaded banging over bumps that I was getting came from the Windshield, even when fully lowered. What I found was that the little rubber bump stops on both sides were missing altogether! I compared my bike to a new one in the showroom - this is how I found out what the problem was. Check if you have any freeplay when the screen is fully lowered, if you have, then look to see if the screen has stopped firmly against all three stoppers. (there's one in the middle/bottom of the screen.

Hope this helps.

Tony.

Archived