IGNORED

NGK code for spark plugs

Brodyku

I couldn't find this in the forum and the NGK website is the same as the auto parts store (only have plugs listed for '01 to '03 RT's. There is one in the book but it has an added "N" at the end of the NGK type

What are the NGK 4 number part codes for

BKR 7 EKC = ?

DCPR 8 EKC = ?

What are the Bosch 4 number part codes for

YR6LDE = ?

For an R1150RT ('04)

The code information is here .

The final 'N' is 'Strong ground electrode design' -- whatever that may mean. AFAIK, the suffix-N is okay for the oilhead.

Thanks - That helps a ton. That clears up exactly what each thing means.

So do Iridium plugs make a difference?

Thanks - That helps a ton. That clears up exactly what each thing means.

So do Iridium plugs make a difference?

Iridium and platinum plugs are especially helpful where the combustion chamber temperatures are very hot and/or spark gap ionization is used for detonation control. Neither of these apply to BMW oilheads.

In fact, I use Autolite 3923s (winter climate) due to the single ground electrode design. This design allows adjustment of the gap. Also, these plugs tend to stay cleaner. Also, the Autolites promote easier cold starts. In summer, I run 3922s (one range cooler) to remove heat from the combustion chamber.

Oh, and the Autolites are $0.99 each and available about anywhere.

SAAB93driver

I'd have to think that with the high compression ratio, lean running and air cooled engine that the combustion chamber temps would be on the high side, maybe not like turbo or supercharged engine but higher than say a normally tuned V-8 Chevy.

In any case, I run the Denso Iridum IK22's in my R1150RS since it had about 1000 miles (now at 32K) and on the third set. The only things I noted were that when I made the first switch and without changing anything else the idle speed went up about 50-75 rpm and that they don't seem to change gap very much over course of miles. I think the ones I have replaced over the miles could have kept going much longer. But, they are very expensive (well, about the same as the BMW plugs), I bought 4 special order at Autozone, they recieved 8 by mistake and made me a deal so I figured what the hell. Other than that the bike runs more or less the same as with the stock plugs in my experience.

I changed from the OE NGKs at about 5000 miles to Autolites. I have swapped the same sets of 3923s and 3922s for the last 4 years. They don't wear out because they stay so clean. I check the gap and adjust accordingly every time I change a set.

So far, my investment in plugs for the GS has been $4.00 over the life of the bike (32,000 miles).

SAAB93driver

I'm not disputing the performance or value of the Autolites, I used them in my R1100RS. Someone brought up Iridiums so I relayed my experience, which I conclude it is not that noticeable to me over the stock plugs. It's just a data point. I paid more than I would have for the Autolites so now someone else won't have to.

I changed from the OE NGKs at about 5000 miles to Autolites. I have swapped the same sets of 3923s and 3922s for the last 4 years. They don't wear out because they stay so clean. I check the gap and adjust accordingly every time I change a set.

So far, my investment in plugs for the GS has been $4.00 over the life of the bike (32,000 miles).

Which Autolites cross reference the NGK's for the Twin Spark ('04 R11150RT) for the Primary and for the Secondary?

Actually my "new" OEM plugs are due tomorrow, but I don't have time to wait for the mail if I want to take the bike to KC.

Since no Auto stores can give me cross reference plugs, does anyone have the cross reference Item part # for any other brands, Bosch, Champion, Autolite, Denso's...etc for the primary and secondary for a 2 spark '04 R1150RT

Thanks! For some reason this is a mystery even for the people producing the up to date spark plug books. For some reason they only foreclose up to '03

Archived