IGNORED

R1200RT Gearbox failure

Aidodub

Hi all,

Any one else have any problems with the R1200RT Gearbox, ie. total failure?!!! blush.gif

I am new to this forum and have found the information very informative. I have a 2005 R1200RT and love the bike to bits! its perfect for my daily 200km commute in any and all weather conditions. Up untill about a week ago I couldnt have been happier, that is untill the gearbox catastrophically failed!, the box disintegrated somewhere between 4th and 5th gear at about 70-80Mph in traffic! I managed to pull in to the side of the road okay but was a bit shaken with the whole experience. I have had my bike from new since July 2005 and remember another R1200RT rider asking me if I have had any problems with the gearbox, this was around December last so the bike was only on the market about 7-8 months at best, I said no why? he informed me that he was on his second gearbox!, at the time I didnt think to much about it, thinking he must be either A. a madman on the bike, or B. unfamiliar with the use of a clutch. But I remembered it when it happened to my bike.

My bike is currently getting a replacement gearbox but I am curious to learn if there are any others who have had similar experiences with the R1200RT gearbox? As I said I love the bike and wouldnt want to change it but it is worrying that a major part like the gearbox would fail after only 20,000km and all services carried out by the BMW dealership on schedule.

Cheers

AidoDub

R1200RT

duckbubbles

Hi, AidoDub

Sorry to hear about your transmission failure. I am also having a problem with mine and want to ask you if it gave any shifting problems before. Mine jumps from 4th to 3rd after shifting up to 4th once in a while, no false neutrals. Did the rear wheel lock up? Are you extremely lucky?

Thank God I am not alone! tongue.gif

I have had the usual jumping out of 2nd back to neutral upon shifting from 1st on occaision, other than that on occaision I would see the gear indicator go blank when shifting between gears, no particular gear, it just happens on occaision. I am wondering how many people have had major gearbox issues with this bike as a rider I met at christmas said he was on his 2nd gearbox, the bike was only on the market since march 2005 so it got me thinking about it,

Hope you get your problem sorted!

Best regards

AidoDub

Wicklow - Dublin, Ireland

R1200RT

www.newstalk106.ie

echo to a word what ya said " have had the usual jumping out of 2nd back to neutral upon shifting from 1st on occaision, other than that on occaision I would see the gear indicator go blank when shifting between gears, no particular gear, it just happens on occaision." and on downshift lately I have had a false netural and last night seemed like the rear tire wanted to lock (briefly) nothing was showing in the gear indicator it was blank. yes it got my attention right away.

I'm gonna tell y'all- if my tryanny fails I'm gonna be PISSED.

I'll look past the cheesy thermometer, but a transmission failure?? In all the miles I've ridden, and all the friends I have on Honda ST's, (many with well over 100k) I've NEVER heard of transmission failure no matter how old or worn the bike.

At 20k my RT is good, and the false neutrals I hit are probably MY fault. (switching from the Honda and back I suspect is the problem).

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Archived