IGNORED

Is Quest 2 the one for her?

Draftermike

Draftermike

I need some advice on which GPS unit would be right for a former relative.

Use: To get to addresses, mostly to be used in rental cars.

She has little patience with gadgets.

Wants it preloaded with all U.S. maps.

Says the Quest is about what she wants in size, but a little bigger screen would be ok too.

Has never heard the voice guidance feature but likes the idea, especially with the Quest size screen.

Summation:

She would want something portable that would direct her to her destination with the least amount of fiddling with it.

Assuming it would be used on the dash,the quest 2 screen would be hard to read at that distance unless she can come up with a mount that will move it closer.

I'm with Ken on this one (c530 might be a better choice). Also, you might check out the PDA versions of GPS as well - Garmin's iQue line).

I taught my wife how to use the Quest and it was a frustrating experience for her. I have to confess that while the Quest is a fine unit, the user interface is NOT intuitive. For example, cancel routing. Or to input an address requires manipulating the keyboard with the round directional wheel in the center of the keys. It can be done (and I have done so many times) but if its something she will only do every few days, she's going to re-experience a frustrating learning curve each time.

For my wife, I preprogrammed routes for her. And added waypoints. As with any GPS that I've tried, any route planning is far more easily accomplished on the computer FIRST.

Good luck,

Mike O

Mike, the Consumer Reports that just hit the mail today has a whole review of easy you use GPSs. Go pick up a copy.

"I taught my wife how to use the Quest and it was a frustrating experience for her. I have to confess that while the Quest is a fine unit, the user interface is NOT intuitive. For example, cancel routing. Or to input an address requires manipulating the keyboard with the round directional wheel in the center of the keys. It can be done (and I have done so many times) but if its something she will only do every few days, she's going to re-experience a frustrating learning curve each time."

100% correct. I like my quest2, but it's not that intuitive.

Draftermike

Aw shucks, it ain't that important that she gets the perfect GPS. The most important thing is that I can blame it on recommendations from the board if she doesn't like it thumbsup.gif

Told her "the board" recommeded the the StreetPilot c530. I'm good now.

The most important thing is that I can blame it on recommendations from the board if she doesn't like it
Yeah but, "http://www.bmwsporttouring.com made me do it" doesn't quite have the same ring to it as, "Mike made me do it."

Archived