IGNORED

Paint

msungu

Anyone out here know about a pait that will match the silver finish on the front fork lower casting oln an R1100RT (have some corrosion there)

I had the same corrosion and used grey primer then standard BMW silver touch up stick. Little bottle with a brush. The finish is too bright but I was just pleased to get it done before it got worse. I kept thinking that all I need to do was to just get the cap off and paint it on the bench but I believe that its under tension.

Jerry Johnston

It's an Aluminum color but most paint cans have a glossy finish and you need a dull or semi-gloss. I would try a small amount of rust remover 1st by dabbing it on with a artist brush.

Laffo IBA#34115

I was told by a salesperson at BOB's BMW that there is a spray can of paint that matches the silver for that part. After getting all excited that person could not find any, nor find any reference to it in any BMW material. They still can't. I am learning that it doesn't exist anymore or can't be sold in the US.

I know this doesn't help you. It didn't help me either. I simply went the black-out route.

Try the back door of your local body shop at lunch time with a $20 in your hand. They probably can match something very close.

Good Luck wave.gif

No worries! Lowes "American Tradition" aluminum 165887 is great as it is flat and the flects of silver are very small. It's near perfect as you can get out of a spray can!

I just noticed your location so this advise wont help you (sorry) but may help others.

I looked for a while finding a spray can paint that looked like this for my mild restorations for my other bikes.

Anyone out here know about a pait that will match the silver finish on the front fork lower casting oln an R1100RT (have some corrosion there)

According to my dealer, Holts Silver Wheels - or the Halfords 'own label' equivalent is an almost perfect match.

Andy

I don't know for a fact, but Wurth Silver (used on German auto wheels) might be very close ... try googling it for more info.

Jerry,

The rust remover I know is "Kingston Kurust" and is phosphoric acid based. Its designed to convert the rust by zinc plating for steel not aluminum alloy. I would think that it would make the corrosion worse not better. However you might be talking about a different product

Archived