IGNORED

WARNING - Lock up your GPS

Mike O

From USA Today. (If thieves are breaking into cars to get GPS's, motorcycles are an even easier target.)

Thieves find way to GPS units...

"...GPS systems, in contrast, are small and far easier to steal.

"There's no wires to cut or screw to pull out (as with) a radio," says Capt. John O'Leary of the Brookline, Mass., police, which has investigated a rash of the thefts. "You just pop off the suction cups."

I always remove mine from it's bracket, regardless of where the bike is parked. It's just far to easy to reach over the tank where it's mounted and have it 'permanently borrowed'.

Regards,

Mike O

What the GPS makers need to do is install locking software.

How hard would it be to have the startup screen pop up with a keypad to put in your 'PIN' to unlock the unit every time you power it up?

I've got my computer set up to require a password on powering up, as well as my cellphone and iPod. If the GPS supported it, I'd do the same there as well.

If it's unusable, it's not worth stealing. As more manufacturers put software locks on the devices, they become less of a theft target.

Garmin, are you listening??

In the UK theives are breaking into cars with 'sucker marks' on the screen from GPS mounts as most drivers just store them in the glove box.

Andy

Joe Frickin' Friday
I always remove mine from it's bracket, regardless of where the bike is parked. It's just far to easy to reach over the tank where it's mounted and have it 'permanently borrowed'.

I'm slightly more casual, I guess. I'll leave it on the bike as long as it's in sight, or out of my sight but out in the open (as when parked at a gas pump while I visit the bathroom). But overnight, or while parked out of sight for more than a minute, yeah, it gets hidden away.

The mount for my R1200RT includes a special screw that can only be removed with the supplied screwdriver. I'm sure a thief could track down a similar screwdriver with some effort or just break the unit off, but this is still an easy deterrent that would thwart some less-determined thieves.

Jay

Jay

Jerry Johnston

Wrong........I rode to Missoula, MT this weekend only to find I left my "special" driver at home. I went to a local hobby shop and purchased a small screw driver similar to one used to repair eye-glasses and it allowed me to remove the gps just as well as the special lit5tle bristol type wrench that was supplied.

...with some effort or just break the unit off...

Jay

For years I owned a Triumph Spitfire (convertible). I NEVER locked the doors on it. I figured I'd rather they steal whatever they wanted WITHOUT cutting the convertible top first.

In the case of the GPS, I'd rather (if I forget to take it off) they remove it without damaging anything else on the bike than rip the fairing, mounts, or anything else. A thief will always take an item and after they get away determine what it's real value is.

I guess any deterent is worthwhile, but the best is just take the GPS off its mount.

Mike O

Let's not forget radar detectors, XM players, etc. Geez, if Ken H or Steves1150 ever got thoroughly nailed, with all their gear.... eek.gif

Archived