IGNORED

wanting to buy a new R1200S

Jun

I currently ride a 2006 Ducati S2R 1000 Monster. I am looking at selling this bike and getting a new 2006 R1200S. My concern is I am only 5'6", 160 lbs. Is the bike too big for me?

John Bentall
Order it with the low seat option and you should be OK. A short guy in my club has one.

Sorry, I take that back. He has a K1200S.

I am only 5'6", 160 lbs. Is the bike too big for me?

I'm 5'7" 160lb and rode my R1100S for 7-years (just traded it on a R1200RT). I don't think the R1200S will be too big for you. You might regret no saddlebags or easy place to cargo-net your laptop if you commute to work, however a BMW-backpack and credit card are all you really need to sport-tour for a week.

I currently ride a 2006 Ducati S2R 1000 Monster. I am looking at selling this bike and getting a new 2006 R1200S. My concern is I am only 5'6", 160 lbs. Is the bike too big for me?

I'm also 5'6" with a 30" inseam. Although I could not flatfoot the S, the narrow width of the front of the seat does allow me to get the balls of my feet down - much like on my GS.

However, the other problem is the reach to the bars. If you're only 5'6", you're going to be stretching a bit. (It probably doesn't help that I have arms like a T-Rex.) tongue.gif

It was the stretch to the bars that killed my planned purchase of an S.

... the other problem is the reach to the bars. If you're only 5'6", you're going to be stretching a bit. It was the stretch to the bars that killed my planned purchase of an S.

My 99S had the original low bars and arm reach was fine. I sat on the R12S and it didn't seem much different. It will be the small tank, overall fetal crouch and head buffeting behind the small screen that will ultimately limit you to 800km day after day. But if you find a good masseuse following a steak dinner with wine then bliss is the result.

I sat on an R1200S today. Although it sits a little bit higher than my Ducati, I feel comfortable with the height. I also had the salesman took a cellphone pic of me sitting on the bike, and the reach to the handle bar is not bad at all. He offered a test ride when the weather gets better here in the east coast.

705007-JunonR1200Sedited2.jpg.a4ac200c88dc8f1dfaf66a56b9600442.jpg

Archived