IGNORED

Unnattractive cornering - a story of attitude

John_Hendriksen

John_Hendriksen

1701900-M.jpg

“You’re cornering sucks," observed a recent riding companion. (Note - recent not late , although at the time, the idea had appeal)

“I know that,” I replied. “I’ve been to a few classes and the instructors say it will take years to set me straight. By the way, have I mentioned your leathers look a little tighter?”

It’s not that I’m a rank amateur. My style, if you will, might be described as “mature”. Worse yet, cornering is my strong suit and I wish I could say it’s getting better. Rather unhappily, the corruptions of my self taught riding have stayed with me, partly because and despite habits disdained by my motorcycling peers, I keep riding. – Slowly and without incident. I’ve even developed an attitude about this.

Some evidence:

While riding Highway 49 in California recently, I was passed by a beautiful red motorcycle of Italian lineage. From the flash of light as it passed by, I could see that everything about the rider was in perfect place, from his blisteringly red helmet, his unscuffed leathers and deeply waxed paint. I’ll bet his socks stayed up under those leathers and that he carried spray wax in his tank bag. As he passed, I thought that I might be able to learn something here. But he rode with an ornamentation I didn’t understand. Much weight shifting and knee pointing, throttle blipping up and down shifts and yet, it was easy to stay with him. Very easy, considering my ugly habits and that surprised me.

We both stopped in Downieville and after the ritual of removing helmets and gloves, I walked over and said hello. He may have noticed my bug encrusted jacket and pants, or my “Geez, it’s good to get off this bike” gait because he mumbled a short missive and turned away with exaggerated determination. After silently suggesting that he go procreate himself, I shrugged and hopped back on the bike intending to ride another twelve miles of glorious corners up to Sierra City.

Shortly after crossing the Downie River Bridge, I noticed a red speck in the mirror. I increased my speed ever so slightly, fighting that unintelligent surge of testosterone, and found a lovely (to me, anyway) rhythm and muttered to myself, ‘Pass me if you want, shiny guy”. But he didn’t. He fell back, caught up with me on the straights and fell back again, all the while throwing his ample rear all over the bike.

I stopped for a coffee in Sierra City, simply because I almost always do and shiny guy stopped too. I went in the little general store and returned shortly with what can only be described as Hot Brown Liquid and sat down on the bench out front. Shiny guy came over and asked, demanded really, “…where the hell did I learn to ride like that?” I paused a bit (mostly because no one has ever asked me that question seriously) and he looked me up and down, taking in all of the protein stains on my jacket and my disheveled countenance.

I smiled and said, ‘The internet, of course. Where else?” He turned as red as the paint on his bike and I admit, I liked it. So much so that it wasn’t even necessary to point out that one the buttons of his leathers had popped.

Francois_Dumas

Funny story indeed.. and reminds me of my recent 'adventure' with Marty, who had the same problem, being self-taught. It is good to recognize ones limitations, even better to do something about them where possible. We all have them, I am sure wink.gif

Must be very gratifying to have this shiny guy complement you on your riding!

Now I’m curious what a ‘mature style’ of riding/cornering is?!

SIFO?

Smoothness?

Late apexing?

The Pace?

Great story John. I loved it. As long as your style worked for you then that is all that matters. We don't don't get points for style grin.gif

Quote:

"That photo, it looks like it could almost be on SR 108 somewhere"...

My thought and question too....We rode Sonora Pass (108) a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it...What a great ride and beautiful.......

Well.......Where was that maximum twisty pic taken?

Phil..........Redbrick

John_Hendriksen
Quote:

"That photo, it looks like it could almost be on SR 108 somewhere"...

My thought and question too....We rode Sonora Pass (108) a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it...What a great ride and beautiful.......

Well.......Where was that maximum twisty pic taken?

Phil..........Redbrick

Hwy 4, Ebbets Pass and only meant to illustrate (sort of) Nothing quite like that on Hwy 49.

Another from Hwy 4.

1701901-M.jpg

gREAT rEAD, Johnny my man...what a hoot to see in my mind everything you explained...thanks for sharing your time with "shiny-guy"...what a kill.!! grin.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gif

John, thanks for sharing your great story with the rest of us. That road looks beautiful for a ride. Very glad you had a good sortie with the other rider. Now after being properly baited, I just have to know how slow you are. When on a normal group ride in the twisties are there more riders in front or behind you at the stops. smirk.gif

Archived