IGNORED

Crash Damage....Mirror Repair?

bmweerman

Recently we went down pretty hard on the Angeles Crest Highway and sustained some minor damgage to the bike and not much to ourselves....thank you armored jacket!

Since then I have been riding around with the official BMW repair tape kit on my right mirror.

77732002-M.jpg

Now I know this is highly attractive grin.gifdopeslap.gif but I would like to get it back the way it should be.

Unfortunately the pins on the bike itself are bent and the inside of the mirror is pretty torn up.

77731839-M.jpg

77732572-M.jpg

Has anybody had any experience repairing this kind of damage? I apologize if this topic has been covered elsewhere but I searched and did not find anything.

Thanks in advance!

That's cool thanks...I've replaced a mirror before and didn't want to pop for the 200 again...I didn't realize you could get just the base plate...thanks for the tip. thumbsup.gif

You've probably got some rash on the pins on the front fairing, but from the picture it looks like you should be fine with a new mirror part.

looks like that bottom pin took a pretty good punch in the fall ( glad u guys are ok! smile.gif ). Hopefully the subframe didn't get tweaked...if so, maybe shimming that pin back out will help prevent any costlier repair ( if the mirror has a fitment issue! )

Laffo IBA#34115

I think it's a beautiful bike, including the mirror although I follow the "use, not abuse" crowd. THAT qualifies as USE.

And a good conversation starter.

Shop e-bay for your part. I found parts for a similar repair at very reasonable cost. You can buy used pins as well as a whole mirror. You may also want to check your dash cover carefully as well. You may have chipped a small corner next to the mirror. Not necesarily a repair item if it is small.

I think it's a beautiful bike, including the mirror although I follow the "use, not abuse" crowd. THAT qualifies as USE.

And a good conversation starter.

I like that grin.gifthumbsup.gif

No_Twilight

You mean duct tape isn't considered a permanent repair on this site????

Actually when I went down last summer I duct taped myself back on the road the next day and rode it that way for a couple of months while I found parts at reasonable prices.

--Jerry

You mean duct tape isn't considered a permanent repair on this site????

Actually when I went down last summer I duct taped myself back on the road the next day and rode it that way for a couple of months while I found parts at reasonable prices.

--Jerry

A man after my own heart...and hey it is Black duct tape... grin.gif

Jerry Johnston

You can buy just the mirror alone for $25 from a dealer - it pops in place. As stated you can bend the clips back inn place howerver you're missing the small wire circular piece that goes arounn the outside of one of them. I found on my 96 that the new mirror was a slightly darker tint than original. Also you may want to cheak the turn signal lens fro cracks - remove the two (or 3) phillips screws that remain and you can pull it out of the main housing.

BucksTherapy
I looked on Maxbmw's web page and it looks like you can get the base plate for about 40 bucks.

The whole painted mirror assembly is about 200.

Part number for back plate for mirror is 46632352122.

Part number for mirror glass that clips in 46637652612.

It looks like your bird cage(fairing sub frame) may be bent. If you take the fairing off you can see the misalignment. If it is only the arm that supprts the mirror that is bent then you may be able to get it close enough that a washer or two will make it right. If anything more then the one arm is bent then you can mess with it forever and not get it right. This part is around $350 from Chicago BMW so I hope you don't need it.

Good luck.

Archived