IGNORED

6th gear noise

matthew517

I have noticed that if I am in 6th gear on my R1150RT 04 and am cruising at 70 then I roll the throttle on I hear a noise that sounds like if I use regular gas in my Honda civic si instead of premium gas (a octane ping) What could this be causing it. I only use premium gas in her. confused.gif

You're probably lugging the engine for the work you're asking it to do. Since I don't have a 6th gear on my R11RT, I'll guess that your engine speed at 70 is 3500 or less. You should downshift and get the engine speed up for good acceleration without pinging.

I have noticed that if I am in 6th gear on my R1150RT 04 and am cruising at 70 then I roll the throttle on I hear a noise that sounds like if I use regular gas in my Honda civic si instead of premium gas (a octane ping) What could this be causing it. I only use premium gas in her. confused.gif

Detonation occures when you place high loads on a high compression engine at low RPMs. However, accelerating at 70 MPH in top gear should not produce detination (mild detonation may occur based on weather conditions...not a concern). If you detonation is severe, you likely have carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. Try some Techron. If Techron doesn't help, go to a more aggressive combustion chamber cleaner.

Archived