IGNORED

I

Laney

Going home from the Un just wasn’t the same this year… Instead of jumping on the bike and heading home, I got home by way of the unique kind of help, support, and generosity that we see so often coming from the members of this board. clap.gif

It started on mid-day Thursday, when I showed everybody at the KOA how NOT to pick up a fallen bike. I was incredibly fortunate to have a great group of people around, and have to thank Cathy (who rode with Jeff Burns), Dennis Andress, Christiane (CKellner), Richard (Benecia RT_GT), Kirsten (KtsRidin, Tom (Boney) , Chris Woodhall (PoPo), Bob Palin (Killer), David (aTenneseebmw22) – along with others, for the keeping me shaded, trying to keep me calm, making me as comfortable as anyone could possibly be under those circumstances, and for keeping ice on the injury.

A big thanks to Boney and PoPo for acting like the pros they are—they used logical arguments to fight my obnoxious independence and illogical stubbornness about not getting medical attention, and got me to give in and have the pain in my back checked at the hospital. thumbsup.gif

After the ambulance carted me off, Richard needed to stay on schedule to travel back, but before he left, he searched my bike for Sock Monkey but couldn’t find him. He took my little monkey friend Samuel off my V1 mount and sent him over to the hospital- along with his love and concern - so I’d have one of my buddies to go with me into X-Ray. We waited a bit while the X-Rays were read, and the ER doc gave me the news that I’d fractured a vertebrae (hey – it’s good news that it was only one!). I asked about riding home, and the doctor suggested I not ride until the fracture healed, using the threat of paralysis if I took a fall that put pressure on the spine. OK, doc - I’m convinced. crazy.gif

Not riding home presented an interesting challenge. While under the influence of some wonderfully effective painkillers, about the only thing I could think of was a U-Haul truck, which would’ve been $500 just for the truck, never mind the gas!. Boney volunteered to drive Buddy all the way down to my place in So Cal, and Gabby was willing to drive there to get me and all my gear home. Talk about going the distance for a friend, that’s a lot of extra time and miles for them. While I was trying to decide if that was too much to put them through, Bob Palin offered his truck and trailer so that Dennis could drive me home, and both bikes could go in the trailer. Bob was even willing to ride his RT out to So Cal, put in it the trailer and drive back to Torrey. Bob is an awesome guy with a huge heart, and we were happy to take him up on his offer. It was time to head for Torrey.

We agreed it made the most sense for me to ride with Gabby in the car, while Tom rode my RS to Bob’s place. I had a great time on the ride over getting to know Gabby and learning to be a proper passenger and tourist. smile.gif When Tom and the bike arrived, he had an awfully big grin on his face, and it looked like he may have taken off the last bit of the chicken strips from the back tire of the RS. blush.gif While the four of us were on our way to Torrey, Bob came up with an even better plan to leave the trailer out of the process, put Dennis’ RS in the bed of the truck, and let Dennis and I take his truck to So Cal. The gang at Bob’s house in Torrey – Jamie, Les, Paul Mihalka, Gabby, Christiane, Bill (tank), and later on, Dennis and Tomgot me distracted from my troubles with great company and conversation. While I was taking a nap down the street at the Boulder Inn, that same bunch took care of getting Dennis’ RS in Bob’s pickup. Buddy stayed behind safe and sound in Bob’s garage, and Bob plans to ride him down this way sometime after all this World Cup stuff is over. Since it’ll be a while before I can ride again, that sounded like the best plan.

So, this chapter of the story ends with me safely at home, Dennis’ RS came out of the back of Bob’s truck courtesy of some help from the guys at Irv Seavers BMW. I’m settling in and trying to figure how to work around the limitations I’ll have for a while. I'll see my local doc soon, and try and find out if I've got a bone density problem, or if this injury as a consequence of a hard fall I took two months ago.

From the very beginning of this “adventure” when I first felt the wrenching pain in my back, I was surrounded by, helped by, and supported by people from this board, and in some cases, their significant others whom I’d only met days before. As Tom Roe put it, I could “feel the love” from this group – and it all added up to make the fear and pain less, and it’s making the recovery a lot quicker than it would be otherwise. Thursday night I made it to the Unrally dinner and got drenched with another shower of the love and concern from everyone there. smile.gif

I have so many people to thank that it’d take the rest of the day to write all the names. Not only did I get incredible care and support from everyone at the campground, but everyone on the staff that helped me at Gunnison Valley Hospital was awesome, and I feel a little badly that I’m making such an understatement

The next chapter starts when Bob rides my RS out here, and we see if he comes over to the Dark Side… grin.gif

"I showed everybody at the KOA how NOT to pick up a fallen bike..."

frown.gif

"So, this chapter of the story ends with me safely at home..."

thumbsup.gif

Glad you are home, safe and sound. When we showed up for the un-meat-capade, you looked like you were the center of a target, people all circled around you. As Tasker and Fernando filled us in, I was amazed at the plans already developing to get you a long way home. Just another reason I like this place. Bravo.

Look at it this way: That brace is all the fashion! grin.gif

Sounds like I missed all the excitement....I'm glad your home....

Why did ya leave the Tequila with Bob????....dopeslap.gif

Whip

Glad to read your BACK & in one(albeit fractured) piece tongue.gif

I hope Bob decides to return Buddy & not just ride off into the (dark-side)sunset grin.gif

Firefight911

I love this place!

Sorry for your injury, but truly amazed at the wonderful selfless outpuring of help, love, and commitment this board pours out!!

Hurry and get better. thumbsup.gif

Dennis Andress

The people of this board are terrific! The offers of help and support from people I barely knew were tremendous. Tom (boney) offered to drive Laney all the way to Southern California even though that meant he’d have to take a sick day. Bob Palin offered his truck, trailer and even his time to travel to Southern California to retrieve the vehicles. In the end, the two of them together solved all of the problems of getting home. As Laney mentioned, Tom rode her bike to Torrey and Bob loaned us his truck to carry my bike and will ride Laney’s here to retrieve his truck.

I’d like to thank everyone who Laney mentioned above and also Bill Iffert (Tank) and Jamie who helped load my bike onto Bob’s truck and made sure that everything needed was put into the truck. Because of your efforts a difficult and painful situation was made much better. Thank you.

Dennis

Y'know, they say that S#!+ happens--and that may well be true--but when you've got friends/family to help ease the way . . . somehow it doesn't seem quite so s#!++y! thumbsup.gif

I'm so sorry that Laney had such an unfortunate turn--but if it was to be--the love exuded by this "family" of riders in our "On road, on-line community" to make it as right as possible is hard to beat! clap.gif

Sorry to hear about your mishap(?) Laney. Sounds like you were in good company though!

Heal quickly!

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Glad to hear you made it back OK. And Thank You to all who helped out. It's such a great group even if I am only on the fringes of it.

(but did Sock Monkey show up?)

Laney -

I'm so glad you're OK and surrounded with the board's love. Mark and I have been thinking about you since we got wind of this - I'm wishing you a speedy recovery so you can be speedy on the road again!

Hugs,

Even with all this love, I am sending you some good Karma. Sorry to hear about this and hope you have a speedy recovery!

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

AdventurePoser

Laney,

Jennifer and I were sad to note you are injured, but hope you bounce back ASAP. It wouldn't be a BBQ without you riding over!

Steve in So Cal

ericfoerster

More get well soon..from Texas.

Sorry to hear the news, but glad to hear you got all the love and support from the group thumbsup.gif

When you HEAR a person's back "pop", it is a truly frightening moment. We are so relieved at your outcome, Laney. Thanks for the update too and I hope the rest of the tests go well.

Hi Laney,

I can not even begin to say how very bad I feel about what happened. Know that I thought about you for the 2,000 miles home and continue to do so. I'm extremely happy you are healing. When I got Tom's message I was saddened that you were injured, but glad to know you will get better.

To all who helped, thank you so very much!

This is an amazing group of caring, loving, hard ridin' folks!

Thanks for sharing your positive attitudes,

Kirsten

Laney,

Sorry to read about your injury. We trust your recovery will be speedy.

Once again though, the folks proved why this is such a great family.

If there's anything Linda and I can do to assist, please let us know.

Wow Laney,

I don't think we've ever met but I've enjoyed your posts. Hope you are feeling better and if there's anything we can do please let us know. And I agree this board is awesome.

Gary and Nancy

I want to see you passing me at torrey in sept. wave.gif

Come on Marty - how about a real challenge??? grin.gif

Hey Laney,

It's good to know that you've still got the spirit!! You take care and heal up for Torrey. I guess we will be meeting at Bob's house to imbibe, unless it's all gone by then wink.gifwink.gif.

Laney, Another example of bad things happening to good people and the good people making the best outcome possible.

Hope you're healed and riding again soon.

thumbsup.gif

Best wishes. wave.gif

BeniciaRT_GT
I want to see you passing me at torrey in sept. wave.gif

Come on Marty - how about a real challenge??? grin.gif

Okay, how about:

Arrive somewhere of distance before the old geezer does!!!

I'm glad you are healing and see all the positives of such a crappy incident!

I'm glad your little monkey kept you company, I just wish I could have stayed for you. I knew you were in multiple, capable, and loving hands though.

I only made it to Delta, Utah Thursday, but after a quick run through the desert, I was home Friday around 16:00.

Make sure to keep us posted on your quick progress and I'm grateful the injury will potentially heal without long term effects.

See you in Torrey? You owe me hug for making me worry so much!!! grin.gif

Bill_Walker

Yikes!

Laney, heal fast and don't you ever do that again! wink.gif

The rest of you, keep on doing what you did every chance you get! Go, Team! I'm sorry I wasn't there to help.

laney,

i'm so sorry for the pain that you have. please do what the doctor says to the "letter of the law." heal now and be ready to ride another day. i have the summer off so anything i can do to help please pm me, and i will do what i can.

bob

Kirsten,

I was really worried that you’d be worried! I’m progressing through this just fine, and I’m happy this fracture happened in a milder way while I was stationary at the campground rather than something major, and possibly devastating, happening if I’d had a mishap while riding, or if I’d had another fall while on roller skates like the one I had last April! blush.gif

To everyone –

I’m deeply touched by the help and support from everyone Gunnison, as well as by all your offers of help here on the board. Every time I think about it, and realize how lucky I am to have had this happen while surrounded by friends like this, I end up reaching for the Kleenex.

Last week I was disappointed in missing the chance to ride on Thursday, but I realize now that this experience - with all the things people in this group have done to help and support me in a time of trouble - is turning out to be the most meaningful and memorable part of my trip to Gunnison.

You are an awesome bunch! thumbsup.gif

Streamwalker,

I'm sorry to hear about your back problem, but think of it this way, you were the catalyst for members of this board to demonstrate how we take care of one another. cool.gif Godspeed in your recovery. You are in our prayers.

LANESTER! Yikes. I'm off the board a bit and not paying attention and not calling CA for a couple weeks and YIKES. RingRing. RingRing. Now.

Thanks to all who helped dear Laney. thumbsup.gif

Sorry to hear of the misfortune. Hope the healing is fast and if you need ANYTHING don't hesitate to ask. I remember everyone signing your cast at the original Unrally in Gunnison. You know you don't have to keep breaking things to get attention around here. grin.gif

Ouch, Laney!

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad you got to experience the tremendous kindness of the people of this community as we have.

Let us know if you need anything and get well soon! (I want to see you passing me at Femmoto!!!! Is that a better challenge...hehehe! grin.gif )

thumbsup.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
(but did Sock Monkey show up?)
I never heard about your mishap Laney...I hope you are back on the bike in no time. But I think I found Sock Monkey on my travels on Thursday. Through the miracles of time travel, Sock Monkey was seen in Creede that fateful afternoon, communing with the local wildlife:

78061752-L.jpg

Get well soon! smile.gif

Laney:

You've been in our thoughts. Heidi's streamwalk in the Gunnison River was in your honor:

78704457-M-1.jpg

We hope you heal up well and quickly.

Wow.....this was quite a shock!! Laney, glad you're home, and going to be ok (if you follow the Doc's rules!!) Am really glad it happened where the best help in the world was so readily available. Heal fast....

Pat

Laney:

You've been in our thoughts. Heidi's streamwalk in the Gunnison River was in your honor:

78704457-M-1.jpg

We hope you heal up well and quickly.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Great picture - and now Heidi knows the bliss of taking her boots off and immersing her feet in the local waters! smile.gif

If all goes as planned I will be healed a week from this Friday. clap.gif

If all goes as planned I will be healed a week from this Friday. clap.gif

Great News, Laney.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Archived